Thread: White Magnolia

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White Magnolia

Attached Images Attached Images

My husband took me to Bryn Mawr College, where he works, to see the flowering trees, and they were just perfect. I liked the backlighting on this Magnolia blossom.

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f 5, 1/640, ISO 250, tripod, Live View focusing, manual exposure.
    PP: PS7: levels, color balance, slight crop, gaussian blur for a few areas, gradient tool. Topaz Adjust >exposure color stretch, Topaz Detail >feature enhancement, DeNoise. Sounds like a lot, but the changes were minor.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A sure sign of spring, the flowers are just swelling now with a little more warm weather maybe this week.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Anita,
    I'm a huge fan of backlighting.....so that works for me. I do wonder if you toned the exposure down a bit more would that make for an even more dramatic presentation??/......something for you to explore. I thought the BG would bother me more but I find I like it quite a bit.....although smoothing the one whiter blob around 5:30 and the horizontal branch would take this up yet another notch.
    Backlighting is tough out in the field so I think you handled it nicely!

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Anita.

I like this image as it is. But I wonder if you couldn't bring out a bit more definition in the whites with Photoshop Shadows and Highlights. And if the image were mine, I might also make a more square crop, eliminating the oof horizontal branch at the bottom and fixing the already-mentioned lighter blob.

But a good effort for that lighting situation. And a most worthy subject for your camera.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice backlit image, Anita. I do find the angled branch in LR a little distracting, but it's soft enough that it is a minor point. My initial thought was that you could blur the BG, but then I started thinking about what you could do with this image and all your texture layer tricks. Perhaps applying interesting texture(s) but masking the subject could be interesting. Just an idea--I've never played with such techniques, but you use them quite effectively. Seems heading down that path could present a wealth of possibilities (with out without masking) for an image such as this. The left-most petal seems a bit soft, but this is also a minor point as there is not a lot of detail in the petals anyway so it doesn't particularly stand out. The bright, low-detail petals do suit the mood of this image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for the comments, encouragements and suggestions. I tried a more square crop, but prefer the OP crop. I did clone out the horizontal branch. I will not play around with textures--good suggestion.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Anita. I like the comp, as presented, though I agree with cloning the horizontal branch and the light "blob" near the bottom. Though you note that you did some nr, I might suggest some additional nr just on the background to smooth it out a bit more.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Aita,

My thoughts on this are very similar to Roman's..... nice work with backlighting but maybe just a touch too bright. When I looked the the thumbnail, I didn't think I'd like the BG but overall it looks pretty good in the larger image. A few tweaks have been mentioned for improving that BG and I agree with smoothing out the lower part and running more NR on just the BG. Well done!