Thread: Manual vs Av and Other Modes

Hybrid View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Manual vs Av and Other Modes

There is a myth about that real photographers work in Manual mode 100% of the time. I have found myself working in Manual more and more over the years, but I firmly believe that when you are out for a walk with your lens that by understanding exposure theory and working in Av mode you will be able to react to unforeseen situations far more quickly if you are in Av mode than if you are in Manual mode. And there are times when I want to be in Tv mode and even times when I want to be in Program (Yikes!) mode. I am going to try and copy some posts from the thread here now. We shall see if I am successful....

IAC, feel free to share your thoughts. Should competent photographers work in Manual mode 100% of the time?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Roman Kurywczak

Hmmmm......while I have seen many excellent photographers make images in AV mode........I have seen way to many misses to see a reason why to use it. If you are proficient in exposure as you want to use AV........then you should be totally proficient in manual. Another 100% manual mode all the time.

What is P?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roman,

re:

Hmmmm......while I have seen many excellent photographers make images in AV mode........I have seen way too many misses to see a reason why to use it.

Misses are always a result of folks who do not understand exposure. Never a result of the mode that they are in. PERIOD. The right exposure is always the right exposure. Folks who fear using manual simply do not understand that the two are essentially the same: a way to get to the right EXP. If your analogue scale shows -1/3 stop in Manual mode it should show -1/3 in Av mode in the same light if the EXP is correct.

If you are proficient in exposure as you want to use AV........then you should be totally proficient in manual.

Agree.

Another 100% manual mode all the time.

The problem is that many in the "100% manual mode all the time" refuse to admit that in rapidly changing lighting or when you encounter unexpected lighting situations that Av is often best. If they choose to keep their heads in the sand I am fine with that but at least the newer folks can learn what is actually best.

What is P?[/QUOTE]
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Should competent photographers work in Manual mode 100% of the time?
    No. I don't see the logic that they should.