Thread: I see you...

Brendan Dozier

Default I see you...

Attached Images Attached Images

My first frog, taken one morning last week at the local lake. Laid down on my side just a few feet away to get as low an angle as possible. Crop, bit of CCW rotation, ACR, PP, evened out BG & FG areas with cloning, toned down L water reflection with burn. Lightened L side of face & eye, added some color saturation, smart sharpen, & Topaz detail, NR.

7D, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2.0x
    hand-held
    1/100
    ISO 800

C & C welcome & appreciated,

- Brendan

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool frog, Brendon. I don't mind the snout being a touch OOF, but the frog's right eye (viewer's left) being OOF is distracting. Maybe if you had slid a little to your left to get his face head-on, it would have worked better. The BG and reflection are fine.

Brendan Dozier

Thanks, Ian, appreciate your feedback. Yeah, I thought f11 would have given enough dof for the snout, but I may have been just a bit too close, I had my 70-200 + 2x, instead of my macro lens with me. See what you mean about the eye, and I'll have to pay closer attention to how I'm positioned next time.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, it always surprises me how little DOF you really have when shooting from close. You have very little leeway at 400mm.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Everything about this image is very cool except that slightly soft eye, Brendan. Love the water, including the ripples & reflection.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great captured..Brenden... love the water and reflection too. but only think about left eye..
    as above say..

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brendan. Love the in-your-face look and the cool reflection. The soft eye has already been mentioned - more DOF would put this one over the top. I would also suggest some careful cloning of spectral highlights especially around the eyes. I hope you get another chance at this guy as this has the potential to be a killer image!

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Brendan,
    At those magnifications DOF falls off quick! I think Steve gave you some great info to try out. My only recommmendation is to watch the sky......if it gets into the scened the overcast sky can giv eyou some hot spots in the water. You may consider backing off just a touch.....to give yourself some leeway! Nice first shot!

Brendan Dozier

Thanks for the comments & feedback, folks! Very helpful suggestions!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Brendan, I like the low angle and the cool reflection you captured. I agree with the need of more DOF and that the reflection of the sky in the LLC is a bit bright. Good effort and it certainly is a learning experience.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brendan, great first try. I don't mind the nose being out of focus, but the eye as mentioned is a little bothersome. Other good suggestions already given. Good thing is these guys are usually rather cooperative so you'll be able to grab more opportunities I'm sure. I'd love to see a fractalius of this one though!

Brendan Dozier

Thanks Ken, Andrew. Yes, definitely a good learning experience, and looking forward to getting more images of these cool little guys. A jumping shot would be great!