Thread: Puffins on the East Coast ???

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Puffins on the East Coast ???

I'm planning a trip up the East coast this summer, and wanted to include a week of Puffin photography.

Any recommendations of places to go, and how to handle the logistics of this?

Thanks in advance !
    Matt

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Go here for a start: http://www.boldcoast.com/index.htm

I usually go in July, you get to go on the island rather than cruise around it, and it is usually good weather to boot.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the link Grady.

I'm really looking to photograph the birds for about a week or so. I'll check into the tours and see if they have anything I can use.

Matt

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Grady is right, Captain Andy is EXCELLENT! Very informative and alert to client's needs. Highly recommended! For Machias Seal Island, i'm not sure of current regulations but each one of the charter boats was allowed to land every 3rd day. You will need to make reservations early and plan on at least a couple of trips, fog or rain can be expected. The whale watching catamaran out of Bar Harbor cruises past Petit Manan Island, no landing but it can be very good for sea birds like shearwaters and storm petrels. (also whales...)
    If you land on Machias Seal Island, be sure to get some pics of the Razorbills too.

John Mc