Thread: B&W Truchas, NM

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default B&W Truchas, NM

Image taken 2 years ago, finally got to process it.

Three image stitch, converted to B&W.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Chris, Welcome to the forum.
    In the future please state the shooting specs so we can better analyze your image.
    You mentioned a 3 image stitch. Is this stitched together as one would a pano or an HDR.?
    The comp is handled well with the cloud becoming the dominant element. I might lighten the foreground tree line a small bit. The sky has a radical tonal shift(could be due to a polarizer) which appears a bit unnatural...

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Chris,
    Dave gave some excellent suggestions above. I too prefer my B&W's to have huge tonal ranges.....so tweaking the FG and reducing the darkeness above the clouds will go a long way in taking this up a notch!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dave & Roman,

Thank you for the critique.
    It is a 3 image stitch not an HDR. I tend to think of a pano being "wide angle".

I was going for drama in the sky.

The exposure was 1/320 sec, f/11, ISO 200.

Here's the edited version per your thoughts, though I don't know if the sky is as impact-full.

Robert Amoruso

Hi Chris and welcome. Great comments above and the repost is the correct direction to take the image.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Chris, agree with Robert. An improvement...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for weighing in, I am really grateful to have a place to bounce off images for critique. I've been giving the image a lot of thought in light of comments about where to go with it. I've ended up "splitting the difference" in some regard, I went back to a darker sky, but that gradient you see below in the sky is real. I feel, and it is just my opinion that the lighter sky version has less impact and I hope that perhaps this final image is a happy compromise, though these things are sometimes subjective. Perhaps the composition is not strong so the questions of aesthetics are moot. i.e. fish or cut bait scenario.

I can't speak for Clyde Butcher but he has some images w/ dark sky's like this as well see here.
    Last edited by Chris Korman; 02-08-2011 at 02:37 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Chris, I like the third image the best with the dark sky and open upped foreground. I also can not speak for Clyde but I ahve been in his gallery on numerous occasions and his work is stunning in person no web or book image can compare to one of his prints
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy