Thread: Mount Rainier Storm

Judd Patterson

Default Mount Rainier Storm

I'm terrible identifying conifer species, so I'll just say that I think think this shows an old pine amidst a group of firs/spruce. A snow storm was swooping down the mountain and a blue sky day quickly turned to fog and snow and then white-out conditions in late May 2007 (Mount Rainier National Park).

Canon 5D, 17-40mm @ 35mm
    1/400, f/10, ISO 160

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Judd,
    The atmosphere and subject are absolutely great. Great use of a foreground anchor. Compositionally, it would be stronger if you had repositioned yourself a few feet to your right, which would have shifted the foreground tree between the the grouping of firs on the left and the lone fir in the mist on the right (half obscured by your foreground tree in this composition).

Robert Amoruso

I think David's suggestion is right on. Other than that, a very strong image in its own right.

Judd Patterson

Thanks for the suggestion David. I like it and can certainly see what you mean. I was struggling to keep some trees on the left from entering the frame, but think your suggestion could still have been implemented.

Paul Marcellini

Works for me. I love trees with some character. If only I could find some of the cypress like this that are nice and singled out.

Paul

Scott A. Flaherty

A beautiful shot. I understand the suggestion that was made but still think this shot works as is. The background tree is veiled in enough mist/fog as to not detract too much from the foreground tree. Nice job.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this kind of images. Dramatic. From composition point of view it is perfect.
    Szimi

Lance Warley

Beautiful shot, Judd.

A long way from Green Cay...