Exposure Compensation -1 1/3
    ISO Speed 200
    Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
    Flash Off
    White Balance Mode Auto
    AF Mode Manual focusing
    Picture Style Standard
    Color Space Adobe RGB

Another shot from The Gambia, this was taken in the hotel grounds. I am not absolutely sure but I think I have the correct ID, I am assuming this is the male and female. It was tricky getting both in the same plane especially as there was a constant breeze coming in from the beach.
    All comments welcome.

Julie Kenward

Jon, I like the diagonal perch and you did very well getting both insects in focus...that's never easy under any circumstances! I do think the overall image is underexposed...it feels very dark except for the stick. You might try lightening up everything but then I think you're going to have a pretty substantial noise problem in the BG. I'm thinking fill flash might have helped you out with more even lighting here. Let's see what others think...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

wow Jonathan I think this is terrific....and I know how hard it is to get both subjects like that in the focal plane...nice job! I like the diagonal of the perch as well. The brightness of the perch draws my eye to the branch...maybe try some burning?

Nice image....

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great composition, and the chocolate coloration on the female is really beautiful!

You could try applying a slight inverse S curve adjustment to lower the contrast a little bit, I think that would take care of the concerns over 'darkness'. Otherwise, Wow, and thanks for sharing!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the C&C, I too was concerned about the contrast. I applied shadows and highlights and also burned the highlights on the stick. getting the light right on the male correct meant a compromise on the female and vice versa. The obvious has just dawned upon me I will mask each dragonfly and process them separately, funny how these things come to mind after discussion! I will have another go and repost.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Jonathan,
    Great advice above and glad to see you thought out a solution! This is difficult in any situation with the 2......so looking forward to the repost!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, great advice has already been given but I just want to say how impressed I am that you were able to get both in focus...nice work!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Childs View Post
    Jon, great advice has already been given but I just want to say how impressed I am that you were able to get both in focus...nice work!
    Ken I suspect (manual focus) there's an element of luck as well as judgement!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Thanks for the C&C, I too was concerned about the contrast. I applied shadows and highlights and also burned the highlights on the stick. getting the light right on the male correct meant a compromise on the female and vice versa. The obvious has just dawned upon me I will mask each dragonfly and process them separately, funny how these things come to mind after discussion! I will have another go and repost.
    Her's a re work - not sure it is a whole lot better; there is a quite considerable contrast in the image. I f anyone wants the RAW file to have a play with I will be happy to send it!:)