Entrance to The House of Blues by dcstep, on Flickr

CameraCanon EOS 5D Mark II
    Exposure0.04 sec (1/25)
    Aperturef/6.3
    Focal Length40 mm
    ISO Speed1600
    Exposure Bias+2/3 EV

Robert Amoruso

I like how you framed it at top with the building structure just showing along the top edge. This kept the bright sky from leading the eye out of the frame.

The bright sky is very problematic however. For one exposure, you did well here. My suggestion is that a bracketed exposure could have worked as the bright portion is above the persons walking and merging the two images may have allowed you to get better detail in the top half of the image.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, agree with Robert regarding the top part of the image.The image appears to call for a GND filter or taken as an HDR in order to even out the exposure. Another way to view the image would be to crop down to just above the horizontal pole above the HOB sign.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey David,
    I love the comp!.....but have to agree with the others above on the sky. I'm even ok with it being grey........try reprocessing the raw and under expose the sky some.......say a third or even up to 2/3.......that may get some of the ladder that is bleeding into the sky as well as the building under control......and then merge. If you are uncomfortable with merging.....still do the under exposure and try bringing up some of the shadow areas. As presented, a crop above the curved lightpole/under the landing works for me......but I do feel a bit more effort in PP'ing will make this shine!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for looking and all the suggestions.

I'm reluctant to crop out the "Stairway to Heaven" and was actually struck that it shouldn't be crystal clear where it's going... Still, I might crop out the landing at the very top and play with the exposure of the washed out area.

I'm leaning toward a crop just above the curved light, but I'll play with the exposure ideas also and post a follow-up soon.

Roman Kurywczak

I think if you can recover some in the whites.....you may not need a crop at all! ......although doing a browser crop ......just eliminating the landing supports keep sthe stairway as I really like that addition!.....besides.....Led Zepplin rules!