Thread: Death Valley Rock Surface

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Death Valley Rock Surface

Attached Images Attached Images

In Death Valley, when we were walking through one of the canyons the walls had such wonderful lines that I grabbed this almost on the run. The RAW is really blah; I did all processing in LR3, then over to CS5 for some clean-up and Topaz InFocus. I played with it with some of the programs to create some really weird patterns; I might post one in the OOTB to get some reaction.

Camera: 5D2
    Capture date/time: 14 Oct 09; 4pm
    Light condition: Bright and sunny
    Lens: 24-105
    Focal length: 90
    Distance:
    Extender: none
    Tube: none
    Flash/Comp: no
    ISO: 400
    Exp Prog: Av
    Speed: 1/30 sec
    Aperture: f/9
    Exp Comp:
    Metering: Evaluative
    WB: Auto
    AF Drive: One shot
    Tripod: yes
    Filter: SR color intensifier
    Crop: none
    Images Changes: Removed some cracks in the surface

Processed in LR 3 and CS5 -
    InFocus,
    and Pixel Genius Sharpening.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely done and good for you to see it on the run.

I like the nice diagonals and cool colours.

I might crop just a tad off the top to lose the white bit on tlc or even more.

When I slide photo around on my monitor taking a bit off the top and getting gold strip more in rot seems to accentuate that part of photo more.

Dave

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, the diagonal stripes and the colors you ended up look wonderful! Dave's suggested crop is definitely something to explore. I'm having a problem with the lighter areas because they look soft....almost like blurred falling snow. I think this may be an optical illusion and that they can't be made to look sharp. I know you said the original raw looked blah but do you see this softmess in the original?

This has lots of possibilities for OOTB editing. :D

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Jay,
    Nice to see you in the macro forum! I too like the colors and lines. I do think the whitish areas Ken mentioned are due to DOF with that lens......unless you were very parallel to the plane! As is though.....I still think this works nicely....just try toning down the whitish areas before exploring the crop!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay. This is a cool image! I like the diagonal rock texture and all the colors. You have some interesting suggestions above to explore. :) Keep the macro shots coming!

Julie Kenward

Very nice abstract, Jay. I like the original crop...I'd just clone over the white area with one a little more in focus and call it done. Beautiful blues in this...really nice!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, I like the diagonal lines, and the blues and browns go well together. Well spotted on the run.:)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Kenward View Post
    Very nice abstract, Jay. I like the original crop...I'd just clone over the white area with one a little more in focus and call it done. Beautiful blues in this...really nice!
    First, I have no hangups with changing the image in any manner with disclosure.

Now, I do not understand what you are suggesting. Please provide more detail so I can make the attempt. :o
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely colors and nice diagonals. It might make a good texture to use with another image.