Thread: Glowing cattail

Bill Randall

Default Glowing cattail

Attached Images Attached Images

Crop and usual ACR increase satuaration 1/160 at f4 165mm

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool image. There is real feeling of movement from the wind. I might try and blend in the dark areas of the BG. Otherwise, a great shot.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting shot and I like the idea.

If mine I might remove the bits of twigs at bottom and top spike of cattail looks a bit off.

Neat colour of the bg.

Dave

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Bill, I like the concept you have going here....as Jay said, you really captured the feeling of movement. The biggest problem I see is that this looks overexposed. The detail is lost on much of the left side of the cattail so I would revisit this one in ACR to see if the detail is there in the raw file. The sticks at the bottom are a distraction and, IMHO, don't add anything to this shot so I would clone them out.

Please be sure to give all the shooting specs....we coulld do a more thorough critique if we knew what camera/lens was used and what the ISO was.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It looks like this cattail was bathed with morning or evening sun, creating a bit too much brightness on one side and a bit too much darkness on the other. As suggested above, you could see what reworking the RAW conversion does. Or, use your Shadow/Highlights tool and see what it does. Nice sense of movement and glow!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill. I like the look of what you are trying to show here as well as the diagonal comp, though I would agree with Ken about the overexposed look. You have a number of good suggestions above to consider. I'm not sure I like the look of motion blur - especially at the tip of the cattail, but that is subjective - and a minority opinion it appears. :) Keep them coming.

Bill Randall

Thanks everyone I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'm not much of a macro guy and the wind here never seems to let up leading to far more disasters than successes.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Bill,
    Can't add much to the above comments.....I see you have the SS and f-stop.....try to post as much other info....ISO. lens, and camera .....because we may be able to offer more suggestions for future trips out.