Thread: Great Egret Fishing - Part 2

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Egret Fishing - Part 2

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a different bird than in the last thread but unfortunately I can still use pretty much the same criticism than then; better light with better angle and getting lower would have improved this photo. Nevertheless from all the Egret fishing photos I have taken during resent weeks I like this one because of the symmetry from the reflection.

EOS MK3 + 500/4 + 2.0 TC
    F/8
    CW-Average 1/2500; -1/3
    ISO 500
    Car used as a hide.

Cheers,

Mikko

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree Mikko, the symmetry is good, although it would be better if the reflection was stronger. If you shoot RAW you may be able to "tame" the highlights with the Recovery slider. I'd like to see you give this a try if you can. Also Linear burn may work in Photoshop, masking off everything but the highlights in a duplicate layer.

Peter Farrell

I like the overall composition. Great feeding pose. Water color is great. Whites look hot in spots.
    Peter

Julie Kenward

Interesting image, Mikko, but you did definitely burn both ends of the histogram just a bit. I'm also drawn to the part of his head that's in deep shadow. If you had time, moving to the left a bit would have dropped that part of his head off the image and would have left you with an even strong HA.

Try calming down those whites and bring up some of the deep blacks in the center of the water and see what you think about that.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks again guys. I'm so used to darker photos that now when I'm trying to avoid those, I'll overdo it. Here is another try. Maybe little better but I just have to accept the fact that harsh light and white birds are a baaaad compo... :)

Mikko