Thread: Marbled Godwit

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Marbled Godwit

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken on a sand bar in the Alafia River with James Shadle....tripod adjusted low and kneeling in the mud....it was great.

Clear afternoon sun....used Sunny 16 Rule.

1D MKIII
    500mm f/4 + 1.4 TC
    ISO 400
    1/2000
    f/8

ACR and CS5, MacBook Pro, cropped for position, nothing cloned or added.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot, Joel. I particularly like the bubbly water in the foreground. If this were mine, I would clone out the dot on the right hand side and maybe try to lighten the eye just a touch.
    Last edited by Maureen Allen; 10-14-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Maureen,

I think you are correct.....if you start at f/16 and set your shutter speed equal to your iso (1/400 at iso 400 in this case) then.....

opening up to f/8 would be adding 2 full stops....you would then expect to increase shutter speed 2 full stops which would be 1/1600...again the starting point

what I found was that I had too many "blinkies" and was pushing the highlights too far to the right so I bumped the shutter to 1/2000.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Joel. i deleted that part of the post after I spent some time reading last night about Sunny 16. I figured that it was just as you said - lots of light/reflection there and you probably needed to up the shutter speed. Anyhow, thanks for the explanation.

Some of this is starting to sink in - I think.. :D

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely Godwit image. The details look nice, the sunny 16 rule has worked wonderfully here. What metering did you use for this image?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mark, I used evaluative metering.....should have included that with post....oops!:o

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Young View Post
    Lovely Godwit image. The details look nice, the sunny 16 rule has worked wonderfully here. What metering did you use for this image?
    Here's the deal. On a true Sunny 16 day, you don't need the light meter;).

Very nicely done Joel.
    Exposed well, nice and sharp. Many folks have a hard time getting sharp images the first time they use a super telephoto. Obviously you didn't have that problem:).
    IMO a little off the top (putting the eye more above the center line and still keeping enough so it does not feel cramped) would make this an even stronger image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the kind words James,

I suspect that my success with the 500mm lens was more than enhanced by your teaching me some fundamental techniques and then reminding me when I was digressing to my old habits.

Just another juicy tidbit that I learned from my one day workshop with you, as I told you that day.....time and money well spent IMHO.

Step on soap box :

For anyone reading this ... if you are a beginner like me .... if you can get there for even one day with James you will not regret it ...you will get opportunities to make great images and a day of great instruction and advice at a very affordable rate...it will boost you up the learning curve big time.

Step off soap box now.

Joel