Thread: Sea Rose

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sea Rose

Attached Images Attached Images

I made this image in the shade at a local botanical garden yesterday. There was a little bit of wind and I was handholding so I had to raise my ISO a little more than I would have liked to attain the f-stop I wanted

The Sea Rose is a small shrub native to South Africa. It blooms from May to August so I was lucky that there were still some flowers on it.

50D, 60mm macro
    1/160 sec, f/5.6, ISO 800
    Fill flash at -2

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice job. I like the angle and colors. I like the selective focus. I am trying to figure out if I would of liked the under leaf on the right to be slightly OOF as it may be competing with the center of the flower..that's just being over critical I think anyway...Like it as presented.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Nick! I purposely composed this image so that the petal edge would be sharp. To my eye, it helps lead me to the center. Of course it is a subjective thing, and we all have different opinions.

Julie Kenward

Aidan, this is lovely. I would have liked to have seen the center just a hair higher from the LLC but love your use of selective focus here. It's a lovely image and that shock of yellow is nicely sharp and not oversaturated. You might try just a touch more contrast to pop the white/yellow a bit more and alleviate the middle gray from the BG but that's purely speculative...do what feels right to you!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Adrian, this looks great as is but I agree with Jules that getting the center slightly closer to a ROT position would look good, too. I also think her suggestion of bumping up the contrast is a good one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Aiden. Sweet colors - the sharp yellow stamens really pop against the soft pink of the petals. The first place my eye goes when I look at this image is the yellow of the stamens - but then it quickly pops up to the small dark V between petals at the top of the frame. You might consider either cloning this area or cropping a little off the top to remove it. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the input. I agree a boost in contrast would improve the image.