Thread: But wait, I don't feel qualified to critique pictures!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Icon3 But wait, I don't feel qualified to critique pictures!!

The Critique

• Critique is defined as: the art of criticism, an act of criticizing.

• Criticism is defined as: assessment of creative work, considered judgment of or discussion about the qualities of something, especially a creative work.

• Criticize is defined as: careful, exact evaluation and judgment.

No where is the word "negative" mentioned.

Critiquing an image is not as difficult as most people believe. It can be as easy as stating what you like or don't like about an image. Our Eager To Learn forum is not just a great place to gain confidence in post images, it is a great place to gain confidence in critiquing images as well.

Here are some suggestions that can use to make your critiques even more affective when you feel comfortable doing so.

Advanced Critique Suggestions.

• Consider offering your critique as an opinion ie IMO, etc.

• Consider using terms like "put the image over the top" or "will make the image even stronger"

• Instead of just telling a photographer that the subject should be located more left or right in the frame etc.,tell them why it should be located more left or right in the frame.

• Instead of "great image or well done" explain why it is a great image and what photographic elements or techniques make it so. It is rare, but there are images posted that are "great" and just couldn't get any better. However, photographers need to learn what makes an image great just as much learning what makes a poor photograph.

• Ask the posting photographers questions. ie "Was the noise in the image that was mentioned earlier caused by under-exposure? The tonality of the background is lighter than a middle tone and your exposure setting was listed as -1/3 stop, from the metered value; why did you do that? Did you need to lighten the image in the conversion process or Photoshop?"

• It should be understood that when you offer your opinion on even the smallest detail, you are not nitpicking. It is attention to detail that separates good from great. At the same time, it is not necessary to enlarge the photo and critique it on elements that would otherwise be indiscernible.

• If there is a distracting element in the frame, rather than immediately suggesting it be cloned out, help the photographer with the "geometry of photography". Move left or right, up or down and perhaps that distracting element will be hidden by the subject or the angle would move the element out of the frame.

• Use re-posts as a tool to communicate major changes. Re-posts will lose their impact if used on images that can easily be critiqued using the written word.

• When evaluating color or exposure, it is best to use a calibrated monitor. The results you see, compared to what the image actually looks like can vary greatly otherwise.

The Image: Help Us, Help You!
    Posting an image for critique is an excellent way to rapidly improve any photographers ability to create beautiful images. You can help those offering image critiques by listing details of the capture process.

Listed below are some of the details to include in your post that will help you receive the best critique possible.

Thought Process

• Were you creating a Portrait?

• An Environmental Image etc.

• What obstacles did you face in creating your image?

• If an animal, what species? Was your subject captive? Did you attract your subject or subjects into photographic range with food, water, audio, or any other means?

• Was your image significantly altered by adding or removing elements of the composition post shutter?

• Time of day, weather conditions etc.

Capture

• Camera Type and Model

• Lens Focal Length and Model

• ISO, Metering Mode, Exposure Mode

• Exposure Compensation (if used)

• Shutter Speed, Aperture

• Focus Mode

• Tripod, Tripod Head

• Flash, Flash Settings

Post Processing

• Crop

• USM

• Levels/Curves

• Noise Reduction

• Cloning or other modification

You don't need to list all of the above(it would be the most helpful) but list as much as you can and any other factors that had an affect on the final image.

The Results
    I can tell you with certainty, that without receiving and giving image critiques over the years, I would never have been published in the likes of Outdoor Photographer, Audubon, National Geographic Adventure, Popular Photography, Shutter Bug, to name a few.

Please understand, Birdphotographers.Net is not like other photography forums. We are not going hurt your progress just to boost your ego. It is our goal to honestly critique your images as gently as possible, while having fun doing it.

I would like to encourage everyone to take advantage of this one of a kind learning experience by both receiving and offering critiques. If you do, the results will speak for themselves!!
    Last edited by James Shadle; 09-29-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Thanks for that James great guidelines for an often difficult subject, I am sure this will help reticent "critiquers like myself"

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think I will print this and keep it by my computer as a standard by which to critique images......well written and thanks!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Can we include calibrated monitor James?
    Very nice write up...

Thanks
    Sid

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Sid,
    Great idea. I added it.

Is that cymbal monkey directed at me?;)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James Shadle View Post
    Is that cymbal monkey directed at me?;)
    Nope. Your cymbal monkey wears blue jean, fishing shirt, Nikon cap and he plays "As fine as frog hair":p

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Garige View Post
    Nope. Your cymbal monkey wears blue jean, fishing shirt, Nikon cap and he plays "As fine as frog hair":p
    You Sir have may have spent a little too much time with Blake and me:)/.
    Awesome reply.

Lance Peters

Excellent - will make sure to re-read it myself every now and again!!
    :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

All excellent points, James. I might add that the act of writing critiques can be just as valuable a learning method as reading others'. It forces you to study an image with a critical eye, then articulate your thoughts. That kind of practice is much more effective than passively reading others' critiques. It is also a good way to condition yourself to evaluate your own work with dispassion.

btw, as pedantic as it probably is, could you change the text that reads "make your critiques even more affective" to "make your critiques even more effective"? (it would make my Mother proud ).

Best regards

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

"I might add that the act of writing critiques can be just as valuable a learning method as reading others'. It forces you to study an image with a critical eye, then articulate your thoughts"

You are correct Sir!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

James it's a subject that as concerned me,I also will print this and keep it in front of me.

Thanks Keith