Thread: Common Redpoll resting in falling snow

Wilson Hum

Default Common Redpoll resting in falling snow

Attached Images Attached Images

We are experiencing an irruption of northern finches this winter in Ontario, Canada. Here a male Common Redpoll is photographed resting during a snow fall. Used a rain cover for the camera and lens. Despite a fogged up view-finder, managed to capture this lovely bird with a Canon 40D and 400 5.6L lens.

Ivan Miksik

It's a great winter photo for me. I am not sure but it looks slightly underexposed (I don't see details on all white feathers) but maybe I am wrong. Still it is very, very good photo!!!! Impact of winter is great!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice feel to this image with the falling snow and colors.Beautiful Shot.

Axel Hildebrandt

Very nice winter scene and eye contact. Did you use flash? The eye looks a bit washed out.

Wilson Hum

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Hildebrandt View Post
    Very nice winter scene and eye contact. Did you use flash? The eye looks a bit washed out.
    No flash. It was snowing at the time and I had enough problem keeping the camera and lens dry :D I do have the new 580ex Flash which is supposed to be more weather-proof though. Left it at home and still using the older 580ex Flash. What you are seeing may be am ambitious Dodging job on my part in place of no flash and very soft lighting.
    Last edited by Wilson Hum; 01-04-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Wilson Hum

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Miksik View Post
    It's a great winter photo for me. I am not sure but it looks slightly underexposed (I don't see details on all white feathers) but maybe I am wrong. Still it is very, very good photo!!!! Impact of winter is great!
    Hi Ivan. This is almost full-frame. In lighting like this I tend to up the EC actually. Then I bring it down in PS (don't know what it is but I tend to go less bright on my LCD monitor). Impact of winter is also very brrrrrrrrrrrr.....cold :D