Thread: Yearbook Picture

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yearbook Picture

Attached Images Attached Images

Not enough to be called filter abuse, but more than I usually do. This young Heron posed for his high school yearbook pic for me. I took him to Topaz Adjust to beef up the detail and then used a plugin from Flaming Pear called Aetherize to soften and put a glow on that image. Seems like a contradiction in effort, but with a bit of work I liked the final result. Finally I did a mask to bring back a bit of sharpness to the eye area. Seems really subtle to me for all that work and soft and subtle hasn't been my strong suit. :( New directions! I really liked the way the aetherize manipulated the background. What do you all think?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Dave, Very nice young Heron and sharp eye. I do wish it were turned a bit more towards us or there was a bit more room on the left to give the appearance that the bird is engaged in the scene. I like the effect of the filters. I think the strong details play well off the softness and the BG colors are gorgeous. I might try to eliminate the halo around the bird if it were mine. Nice work and good to see you stepping a little out of the norm.:)

Julie Kenward

Agree with Denise but I also like your BG - I'm just wondering what it would look like when printed. ??? I also think you could tone down the yellow near the eye just a tiny bit so it isn't so "electric". I do really like the final effect on the bird as well - it softened his feathers nicely and you painted back in a nice amount of detail.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dave, good for you to push yourself out of your "box" and try some new techniques. I think this works really well. There are many different ways to use the combination of detail and blur and it's fun and educational to give them a try! I think the bg works fine but I would be tempted to do something with those green highlight areas.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice composition, Dave. Agree with Denise on the space in from the bird. Love the colors and soft smooth texture to the image. Nicely done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image and application, Dave.

Like the soft with the focused eye.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the soft tones and the soft feathers. As always, a good head angle here would have yielded a better final image. I am not a fan of the big halo.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone for the feedback on this.. Your honest and constructive comments will only help me grow and improve. As I said before this is a bit of a different approach for me and I certainly appreciate the guidance. I think the halo may have crept in during the Topaz portion and after viewing it a bit more,I agree it needs to go. I have a series of this bird so maybe I'll just start again and try to find a better HA. Thanks again to everyone.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super Dave. Folks who look at critiques with an open mind and heart as you do will improve quickly. The always-defensive folks not so quickly....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.