Thread: Shaking the Dust Off

Ed Prete

Default Shaking the Dust Off

This is a fairly old image of mine, that I don't think I've shared here.

Back several years ago when I was in FL with my wife and daughter, and we were visiting my wife's grandmother in Bradenton, I talked my wife into driving an hour and a half to Cape Coral in the pouring rain as I wanted to see burrowing owls.

We got there, drove around, found some locations that I was kindly guided to by my friend Blake :tu: . Well, only problem was it was pouring even harder there. But, it was our second to last day down there, and I needed to do something and I just pictured this in my mind as my 500 was peeking out the drivers window. It took a while to wait for a shake down, but I felt rewarded in the end.

Not a typical burrowing owl image and not something everyone would like, but I was extremely pleased with what I wound up with that day.

Original Capture Date/Time: 2007:06:01 11:12:23
    Make: Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
    Model: Canon
    Aperture: f/9.0
    Exposure: 1/200
    ISO: 640
    Focal Length: 1000/1

Robert Amoruso

This is very cool. Interesting what parts of the bird are sharp and what is not.

Connie Mier

Like it alot, the blend of blurriness and sharpness is eye catching. And the fact you got the owl's eye in there is pretty cool too.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a very cool shot. Really out of the box. well seen and executed. The darker upper BG has helped a lot here. Liked the vertical comp. a lot too. Thx for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with the positives above. I like the blurred head. Not a fan of the perch though.

Looking forward to more!

George Scott

Agree also, I really like the contrast between the sharpness of the legs and the blurred head & body - interesting image, thanks for sharing

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ed, The shake and drops are great. Did you use flash? The eye seems to indicate that. With a bit of luck the head would have been turned a bit more towards you rather than away. You might wish to remove what looks like a second perch immediately behind the front one.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.