Thread: View From Hurricane Mountain

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default View From Hurricane Mountain

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot this last week after climbing Hurricane Mountain in the NY Adirondack High Peaks. The clouds are always pretty neat up there and make for some funky lighting situations. I waited to see if the distant mountain tops would get lit but it was not to be...Three image HDR, shot with 24 -104mm at 70mm, ISO 100, f/22, SS 1/13 with polarizer and 2 stop split Neutral density filter held in front of the lens. I did a series without the filter and likethe sky in this one the best. Processed in Photomatix, there is little to no crop.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Nick,
    The seems to bee some funky yellowish stuff going on in the LH brightest cloud. Since the sky was this dramatic......why did you chose so much base? I find the sky much more interesting and would have preferred this with 1/2 of the mountain and more of the sky......since that is where the majority of interest is. Just something to consider next time out and you definitely need to re-visit this in the fall.

Robert Amoruso

Hi Nick,

Roman captures my thoughts to a tee. Thanks for posting.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This sort of reminds me of the Smokey Mountains with layers and layers of hills stretching into the distance, somewhat hard to get the most effective image in difficult light. For this image I might try cropping that nearest hill out, then work on accentuating the sky, which looks like it has the capability of being much more dramatic.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Nick, Agree with Roman's cropping suggestion which will give the image more impact due to the strength of the sky...