Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Head Angle Fine Points

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Image AB. Which is the better Head Angle and why?

Please do not eat the dandelions :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

If it is about the connection created by the eye, I say AA because of the light on the eye even though the stare is ahead. If I only were to consider HA, then I think AB is more toward the camera and is more engaging from that perspective even though there are no eye highlights.
    /jon
    Jon Saperia

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, I like the AA. The catch light and body / head parallel to the sensor works for me.

Image AB HA would have worked better if the eyes had the catchlight.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I will process only one of these so I guess the question is, "Which one will I process?"
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I will process only one of these so I guess the question is, "Which one will I process?"
    I think image AA.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

In case my choice was not clear, I will go with AB.
    /jon
    Jon Saperia

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I will vote for AB, the catch light can be put in, The deer/elk? is more attentive in AB slight turn town you with the ears up.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's a lady Elk from along the Madison River in Yellowstone.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would process AA as it seems to tell a better story. She seems to have been alerted to something. Her ears perked up, eyes seem brighter, and seems to have stopped in mid chew. Head angle is fine, seems parallel.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Since I'm getting involved now I'll play along here too. I would choose AA, mainly for the alertness. The ears are up at attention, the head itself shows more awareness, the muzzle is more parallel to the sensor, the eyes are more open and brighter even if the catchlight wasn't present. In AB I get the feeling she's just a few minutes away from falling asleep as the tenseness in the jaw muscles seem more relaxed the eyes are somewhat closed and the head is a little drooped.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, John, and Fred, It's good to see some new blood here :) I'll be back likely tomorrow to share my thoughts.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm going with AB which is turned slightly towards us. I think there is more detail in the fur/hair on the neck and much of what is pleasing on AA can be done in PP (e.g. more contrast, catchlight, lighten the eye).

Rachel

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi All.

I've been a lurker in this (excellent) forum for some time, but this Head Angle thread has finally moved me to join in the fun. What a fantastic way to get a message across!!

I've shared all of Artie's preferences so far and find myself looking forward to the next instalment to see if this continues.

I think an interesting point that has only been touched upon is the fact that HAs have three rotational axes, not just one. In addition to the angle relative to the sensor plane, there is also vertical angle (whether the head is pointing up or down) and the axial rotation angle (whether the bird's twisting its head around the line of its bill). These are quite well illustrated by the bear images (Q & R) and the wader images (C & D).

The only comment I'm not sure about (maybe I misinterpreted) was Artie's statement in Pane 121 that "head angle is almost always about the way the light strikes the face (and the eye...)". To me, head angle and light angle are independent. It's true that most bird shots have the head upright with dominant lighting from above and behind the photographer, so it's possible to make generalisations, but I think it's important to separate HA considerations from lighting considerations. This could be illustrated effectively by a pair of images in which the better HA shot had the poorer lighting.

The current (Elk) image pair illustrates a similar area of potential confusion in that the best HA shot IMO has the worst 'eye'. As a test, I just used Photoshop to create a duplicate pair of images with the eyes swapped over. I think AB with the eye from AA is the clear winner, but then my personal preference is for HAs slightly towards the viewer, rather than perpendicular. (For example, I preferred Swan Y to Swan Z, even though both are good head angles.)

However, if I had to choose which image to process between the original AA and AB, it would definitely be AA because, in this case, the 'eye angle' is having a bigger impact than the head angle. In the end, although HA is a very important consideration, it isn't the only consideration and can sometimes be overruled by others when choosing the best image to process from an imperfect sequence. I've yet to capture my first perfect sequence! :)

Hope my views aren't too out of line!

Mike.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I choose AA because of the catch light in the eye which conveys life to the viewer.
    Andrew

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Mike,

Thanks a ton for stopping by. It is obvious that you have a ton to add here.

re:

I've been a lurker in this (excellent) forum for some time, but this Head Angle thread has finally moved me to join in the fun. What a fantastic way to get a message across!!

:) Interactive is always good.

I've shared all of Artie's preferences so far and find myself looking forward to the next instalment to see if this continues.

Soon.

I think an interesting point that has only been touched upon is the fact that HAs have three rotational axes, not just one. In addition to the angle relative to the sensor plane, there is also vertical angle (whether the head is pointing up or down) and the axial rotation angle (whether the bird's twisting its head around the line of its bill). These are quite well illustrated by the bear images (Q & R) and the wader images (C & D).

You raise an excellent point, one that I have never been able to put into words so clearly, so thanks a ton!

The only comment I'm not sure about (maybe I misinterpreted) was Artie's statement in Pane 121 that "head angle is almost always about the way the light strikes the face (and the eye...)". To me, head angle and light angle are independent.

Yes, head angle and light angle are of course independent. The light is always coming from where the light is coming from. And the light will always strike the subject's head (unless you are in a backlit situation). What folks need to understand and what I was trying to convey is that with a given light angle there will be a small range of ideal head angles where the light illuminates the subject's face and eye perfectly. A few degrees left or right and the light on the face can go flat....

It's true that most bird shots have the head upright with dominant lighting from above and behind the photographer, so it's possible to make generalisations, but I think it's important to separate HA considerations from lighting considerations. This could be illustrated effectively by a pair of images in which the better HA shot had the poorer lighting.

As Bill Clinton might say, that depends on your definition of "better." For me, a head angle that results in the face and/or eye being poorly lit is a bad head angle not matter what the "rules" say. You might say that light trumps head angle....

The current (Elk) image pair illustrates a similar area of potential confusion in that the best HA shot IMO has the worst 'eye'.

Agree.

As a test, I just used Photoshop to create a duplicate pair of images with the eyes swapped over. I think AB with the eye from AA is the clear winner, but then my personal preference is for HAs slightly towards the viewer, rather than perpendicular. (For example, I preferred Swan Y to Swan Z, even though both are good head angles.)

I will comment on that tomorrow :)

However, if I had to choose which image to process between the original AA and AB, it would definitely be AA because, in this case, the 'eye angle' is having a bigger impact than the head angle. In the end, although HA is a very important consideration, it isn't the only consideration and can sometimes be overruled by others when choosing the best image to process from an imperfect sequence.

Agree.

I've yet to capture my first perfect sequence! :)

Not sure what you mean by that.... Please explain.

Hope my views aren't too out of line!

Not at all. I found them tremendously helpful as they clarified many important points. I hope that you opt to participate here and elsewhere on BPN on a regular basis. What do you like to photograph?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I found the discussion above with Mike and Artie very helpful. When I have been making my choices - I have for the most part been making them on the images as is, NOT what I see the potential to be. I believe Artie has said a couple of times he is only going to 'process' one image, which one would it be/ From that perspective I would absolutely go with AB. The head angle is more engaging and highlights to the eye can be added. In competitions I enter, the nature category does not permit certain changes and I have gotten a bit stuck in that way of thinking. As long as one is honest about what was done, it frees up a lot of options. Thanks for reminding me

This also points out something that I have seen a lot in my own work. I will have several images that are about the same but it is not until after I have tired to make a few adjustments to each that I can make my final choice about which is the better.

/jon
    Jon Saperia

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, the idea is to wind up with the very best optimized images. By learning to think digitally, we save lots of images that we might otherwise delete as source material. And yes, it is a good plan to let folks know what you have done and to obey the rules of all the contests that you enter :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your welcoming comments, Artie.

Bird photography is definitely my passion and has been for the last six years, although I've always struggled to find time because of my day-job and family commitments. I'll try to participate in the BPN forum, though.

When I said I've yet to capture my first perfect sequence, I meant that every time I take a series of shots, they're always a mixed bag in terms of focus, head angle, eye detail, etc., so the choice of which image to process is always a trade-off. I try to get everything right in-camera and hate having to choose between the best HA and the best lighting, etc., in post-production, but it's a fact of life I guess.

Anyway, looking forward to the next pair of images!

Mike.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well,, I started out like AB by a mile but as time passed and I read all of your comments I started liking AA too. In the end I went with the eye from AA in the head of AB as here :) As it happens I deleted both of these in favor of one with a lot more character. I agree that AB has the best head angle but that AA has lots going for it.

In retrospect I like the image here so much I regret deleting the RAWs :) You gotta love it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is Image AC.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is Image AD. Which is the better head angle? Which is the better image?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like AC as I like the slightly open bill and the angle of the head is better as it is off the body. And this picture has more room at top. The eye is also better in AC.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For me, AC definitely has the best HA and is also the best image for other reasons (see below).

Taking HA first, this is a great illustration of the three rotational dimensions. The head in AC is angled slightly more towards the viewer, rather than being parallel to the sensor plane (I mentioned previously that I prefer the bird to be looking slightly 'towards' me, rather than perpendicular to me). More importantly in this shot, though, AC has a better angle in terms of rotation along the line of the bill, resulting in a more open 'face'. Fnally, AC has a more 'head down' angle (the bird's bill is pulled closer in to its neck), which isn't always a good thing but, in this case, results in a more graceful curve down the neck-bill line and creates a 45-degree diagonal bill line in the frame that strengthens the composition.

Trying to separate lighting from HA, AC also has a better-illuminated eye - complete with catch-light - which adds appeal.

Finally, I prefer the composition in AC because, apart from the 'line' aspects mentioned above, it has the eye further off-centre, a less cramped crop at the top and more even proportions across the horizontal centre-line of the image (I think the ideal subject placement would have the eye centred vertically and a third of the way across the image horizontally, with the wing-line on the other 'third-line'). I would also have equalised the gaps to the left of the head and to top of the neck. These things are obviously very subjective and individual, but I find myself playing around with them for ages trying to find an overall balance with some compositions.

Mike.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I pick AC because the HA is turned more toward the viewer making it a more engaging & intimate connection with the bird.
    Andrew

AlvanBuckley

Haven't voted on a HA since the first few! Glad to be back :)
    I also vote for AC. As Mike said the head/face is more 'open' this allows the viewer a more engaging view of the bird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad to see you back Alvan :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

AC for me. The HA though very slightly different makes it a keeper. The eye looks more engaging.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Way to go guys, four for four. AC is best. My thinking here is kept simple. For images of preening birds what you want is to have the bird's head parallel to the imaging sensor. Clean and simple and it works ever time. In AC the bird's face and bill are perfectly parallel to the imaging sensor, in AD, they are not. I was gonna make an animated GIF but since you all got it right I will save on the labor costs :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Been swamped :)

This is image AE.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

And this is image AF. Which is the better head angle and why?

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arthur, AE is better. Head looks more in line with the body and I also like how the head position is pretty much parallel with the perch.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

AE for me too: the bird is half-turned toward the camera and has its head on straight.

Looking at this from the viewpoint of angles in general, I think AE illustrates several qualities of diagonal angles.

First, the bird's body and head are at a diagonal angle relative to the sensor plane and this can give a greater sense of intimacy than if they were parallel (field guide style).

Second, the bird and perch are at a diagonal angle relative to the frame, which creates a more dynamic feel to what could otherwise be a relatively static image.

Third, the bird's eye-bill line is diagonally downwards (as Andrew says, parallel with the perch), which aids the composition in this case and gives the bird a relaxed, contemplative look. (The only downside in this case is that the bill loses the nice outlining against the sky as in AF.)

Fourth, the lighting on this subject comes from a diagonal angle in both the altitude and azimuth axes. This has brought out the colours and textures beautifully, whereas side or top lighting would have been too harsh and front-lighting too flat in this case.

To keep the HA discussion clear, the first and third points are the only ones that relate specifically to HA.

Mike.
    Last edited by Mike Atkinson; 11-09-2010 at 03:16 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

if we are talking just HA then AE is better since the vulture is looking at you But I like AF better for the separation of the beak from the body

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree AE is better overall with a better connection to the viewer. What AE gives up to AF is that in AF, the angle of the head is such that one can see through the structure at the top of the beak (do not know its name) which is always nice.
    /jon
    Jon Saperia

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, The nostrils are called the nares on birds.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ah.. Thanks. I have some of Sand Hill Cranes and I just saw that in pictures where I can see through the nares it is hard to get the head angle with a degree or two toward the sensor as we have been talking about and still be able to see through the nares.

Thanks for the bird anatomy lesson :-)
    Jon Saperia

Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW. Depending on what you are looking for square to the camera or 1/2 of one degree towards us can either be acceptable or perfect.... Remember, there are no rules--just guidelines and understanding.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If only talking about head angle, for me it is AE - I feel more engaged with the bird than I do with AF. That being said, AF would be a good image if one were trying to demonstrate the head shape/features for a textbook.

Charles

AlvanBuckley

I also vote for AE for the same reasons as said before. Although I do like how one can see a more clear boundary between the bald head and the feathers in AF.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

AE the winner by far :) While AF has two good things going for it, the round look to the back of the head and the separation of the bill from the upper breast, the bird's head is actually turned away from the angle of the body so it simply cannot work for me.

On to the next pair.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is Image AG.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

And this is Image AH.

Which head angle do you prefer and why?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

AG for me. That one has the head turned a bit upwards letting the light strike it much better.

You always say that with the bird's back towards you, "head perfectly parallel to sensor" works better...which is AH in this case, I guess. But I definitely like AG more here because of the light on the face.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think this is an example of the multiple axes of the head. In AG the head is tilted so that the bill is a bit closer to the body crossing over the front a bit more. The result is that the eye is looking at you more directly even though the head is 'not perfectly parallel to the sensor'.

/jon
    Jon Saperia

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, So which one do you prefer???

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I prefer AG because the body is away from the sensor & the head is more toward the sensor.
    Andrew

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry... I was not clear. AG is my preference for the reason I noted above.
    Jon Saperia

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with AG the eye is looking at you

AlvanBuckley

Another vote for AG
    The head angle is preferable because it has its head turned more upward and the eye is looking more directly towards the viewer

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

AG for me.

Firstly, the head is turned more towards the viewer in AG, whereas AH is closer to being parallel to the sensor. I wouldn't want the head turned too much towards the viewer, but this is just right for me.

Also, the head in AG is turned such that the bill tip is slightly closer to the camera, resulting in the 'face' being pointed more skywards (notice how you can see less of the top of the head in AG). This isn't necessarily always a good thing from a pure HA viewpoint but has the advantage that it strengthens the illumination on the face, which in this case brings the eye out of the shadow nicely.

As a final thought, many bird species can move their eyes quite considerably relative to their heads, so they can exhibit a range of 'eye angles' for a given head angle. The EA in AG is towards the viewer, whereas that in AH is downwards. Most viewers will respond to this the same way they would when engaging with a human, subconsciously sensing more of a connection where there is direct eye contact.

Thanks again for providing the opportunity to think about these subtleties, Artie.

Mike.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast