Thread: Pasque Flower

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pasque Flower

Attached Images Attached Images

At 11,000 ft. early spring wildflowers continue to bloom even as summer progresses. The deep purple blue and the hairy stems attracted me to this Pasque Flower. PP included curves and some dodging of the background.
    Macro flower photography is still new to me so all comments and critiques are very welcome.

Canon 7D, Canon 100 f2.8 Macro lens, 1/800, f7.1, ISO 400

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nancy, this is a very nice presentation. I like the blues and the diagonal comp is interesting. I do think a bit more room at the URC to allow some space for the petal point wold help.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree a little more space around the bloom would help, though I suspect you may have deliberately gone in tight to get the fine detail and to eliminate distracting background elements. I think the colours are beautifully captured, though I would consider brightening the bottom right corner just a little.

Roman Kurywczak

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Nancy,
    I like getting in tight too.....so no issues there but I'm torn about that URC myself.....the strong patterns/triangles are dominating the scene for me anyway....so I am pulled away from those hairs that drew you in. I always recommend that people should explore in depth to that which attracted them to the flower in the first place.....if it was the hairs and color.....eliminate all other distractions. The crop repost shows how I would look at the flower......it eliminated some strong patterns and shapes as well as BG elements....and concentrates more on the fine hairs and color. I hope this makes sense! You are getting excellent focus points with the shallow DOF....in the field sometimes the smallest repositioning,,,,especailly this tight.....makes a huge difference! Hope you get to explore these beauties for a while longer.....heat has set in here in NJ!

Forum Participant OvidiuCavasdan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the perspective, nice color and texture. I think I would like a bit more room in the URC.