Thank You Posts

Default Shell

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 30D
    Sigma 100-300mm f/4 @ 208mm
    1/500sec f/5.6 ISO 400

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Ian,
    Given the lens you used I do wish you had gone out the last 100mm to focus more on the shell. You could have kept the same/similar comp yet eliminated some of the distracting BG elements.......which brings me to an interesting point....most times in macro....if I have the time with my subject....flowers, mushrooms, shells, etc......things that aren't going anywhere....I spend more time policing/cleaning up the area than I do actually taking the image. I'm not saying make it perfect....but those couple of black strands around the shell....gone! Less PP'ing work I have to do. As presented, I like the angle you have on the shell but I would crop all around.....bottom to where the sand gets sharp....proportional off the R....top where it eliminates all the BG stuff/specs and proportionally off the left.....all could have been done in camera with the extra 100mm! Then just clean up the top 2 black strands at the least......it will then be stronger IMO.

Julie Kenward

Roman said what I was thinking - tighter crop and cleaner BG. I do like the texture of the sand against the texture of the shell and don't mind the angle but I think even lower to the ground would make the viewer 'connect' more with the shell IMO.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Kenward View Post
    Roman said what I was thinking - tighter crop and cleaner BG. I do like the texture of the sand against the texture of the shell and don't mind the angle but I think even lower to the ground would make the viewer 'connect' more with the shell IMO.
    I was thinking just the opposite. I'd like to see this shot from straight above, possibly from farther away, with a smaller aperture so the shell and all the textures in the sand would be in focus.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, folks. Actually, I did have a couple with the shell up-close, but I preferred the shell on the BG of sand-texture. I agree, I should have cleaned up the little bits of seaweed and gotten rid of the OOF FG. You make a good point, Roman, about cleaning up before to avoid it later (a lesson I am constantly teaching my kids in other contexts ;)).

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Cassell View Post
    ......You make a good point, Roman, about cleaning up before to avoid it later (a lesson I am constantly teaching my kids in other contexts ;)).
    See.....I have 2 teenage sons!!!.....so I am all too familiar with those lessons!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

LOL I have twin 13 year olds!