Thread: Breaking compositional rules

Andy Nelson

Default Breaking compositional rules

Attached Images Attached Images

This GBH flew very close and I was intrigued by the shadow cast on the wing. There is no room for the bird to "fly into" but I hoped by placing the eye on the upper left power point the image would work. All opinions are welcome.

Canon Mark II, 500/4 IS, 1.4, about 70% of image, ISO 250, 1000 @ f/8

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I Iike the tight composition,light and the eye contact,i would prefer a bit canvas on the left!

Judy Lynn Malloch

I really like this Andy and find it to be a very artitic crop with the shadow lines following the lines of the neck. Really very striking and it has the feeling of speed with the feathers blowing towards the back. Lovely and many thanks for sharing.

Alfred Forns

Hi Andy I see what you are trying to do !!!

I'm having trouble with the oof wing. It is very prominent and catches my attention. Also the legs are part shadow/sun. I do and like different images but this is not working for me. Again with these type is all appreciation.

I was thinking of an alternate crop. Going real tight to do away with most of the wing, add canvas in front and cut the legs in front of shadow. Downloaded and played with it in PS but could no come up with a working image.

This image does fit better in the out of the box gallery. Might want to place there in the future !!! Keep experimenting !!!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it as is. Way sharp on the face.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great composition for me: reminds me of those moments when a close but unseen heron startles and rises up and away from the shore.

Gary Dumer

You caught nice light on the head and Eye, Different Crop!!!

Way to go Andy