Thread: Kalahari Dreams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Kalahari Dreams

Attached Images Attached Images

This is one of my feeble attempts at capturing typical Kgalagadi landscapes while being confined to your vehicle (dangerous animals round, y'know? ;)).

The place is just so expansive. When we saw this iconic camelthorn acacia tree against a typical red dune in the background with the interesting clouds above it - we stopped for some shots.

The advantage of the winter sun here is that the sun travels along a rather low trajectory on the one side - meaning that this shot at noon still had a late-morning light quality. In the summer seasons photography becomes very frustrating in this piping hot place from about 9am to 5pm due to the harsh light and heat haze.

Techs:
    Canon 1000D with 10-22mm USM @ 10mm
    f11 @ 1/80 SS @ ISO-200
    Exp +0.7
    Kenko Pro CPL
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it, Mork. Beautifully composed, even from your confinement. You are a skymaster! :cool:

Just a little touch of sharpening for the small details:

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Morkel, The sky is very strong and makes the image. In a landscape nothing to my knowledge equals early or late light but in this case the clouds are so strong the image is still pleasing. I like how(in a pretty barren landscape) you managed to pull out some interest. I moght crop half way to the small tree on the left.
    In this case I prefer the OP as opposed to the sharpened version...

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Morkel,
    Well....not sure I'm buying the noon/morning light theory.....but you have still managed to capture a very effective image showing the expanse of the Kalahari! Yes.....the lower sun in the winter months isn't quite as harsh as the summer sun....but noon is still noon! I will be willing to wager that thiss.......same cloud and a few hours earlier.....would be extraordinary!.....as presented......very good because of the comp and clouds! I too prefer the OP....repost by David looks just a touch over sharpened in the FG.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanks for the comments guys.

Dave I added the sharpening before posting and then it looked to crisp, so I decided to post one with less sharpening instead :)

Roman - that's why I said "LATE" morning light, meaning that it bought me about an hour's light ;)...
    if you've seen any photos in summer at this time of day from the Kalahari you would get the analogy a bit better ;)

That morning there were very little clouds - this puppy only built up by 11am, and this scene was about 40km from our camp.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mighty good sky, perhaps lose even more off the bottom (that's not diet advice).

Tim

Robert Amoruso

If the areas is like Florida (;)) you don't get the cool clouds until later in the AM.

Though Roman and I agree on many things, one thing we diverge on is later in the day imagery. Having photographed a lot in New Mexico which was a lot of barren landscape, I find I like the later in the AM photographs for their starkness due to the strong directional light. The clouds are a big plus here which makes the image work along with the well placed trees in the FG.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The sharpened version works a little better for me. Either way, it is a beautiful image and the time of day is irrelevant to me. A sky like this should never be wasted.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanks for the comments Robert, Gary & Tim
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE