Canon EOS REBEL T1i
    Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @ 220mm
    Av mode
    1/800"
    F5.6
    ISO:200
    LR & CS3

Mike Moats

Hey Ken, I thought from the thumb nail I would really like this one, but the full version doesn't work for me. I think the blurred flower being larger then the flower the subjects is on pulls my eye to it because of the large size. One other thing would be to clone the little black and orange spots on the of the blurred flower. Clean up some of the white areas at the bottom of the frame. Awesome work on the b-fly and the perch. Great details and beautiful colors. Good BG.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken, the color here is just gorgeous! Great focus and BG. I agree with Mike that the pink flower is taking attention away from your subject.
    My photoblog: juliebrown.aminus3.com

My galleries: julielbrown.smugmug.com

My WordPress blog: indybirdphotographer.com

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks”.

John Muir

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great tones and detail on the butterfly. I sometimes find these difficult to expose correctly and this one is great. I'm also not a big fan of the blurred flower...maybe if it was in the background instead of foreground but not sure if that would work either.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work with the butterfly and flower, killer colors and DOF..ditto on the out of focus flower..

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ken, I had the same thought as Mike I really wanted to like it but when seeing the full image the OOF flower did not work for me for the same reasons Mike mentions.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Julie Kenward

Beautiful colors and I really like the composition but, yes, the pink flower is grabbing my attention as well. Maybe a slight dilution of color there would lead my eye back? If not, crop it and take the flower/butterfly as is because that is absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful backlighting on the butterfly and very nice DOF.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I'm not at all surprised that the larger flower in the BG received negative comments. Normally I would have kept only the flower that the 'fly was on and done a vertical comp but I thought I'd try something different and see what the response was. There have been times when I posted something here or in other places that I thought was good but received more negative comments than expected and times when I posted something that I thought was so-so and received raving reviews.

Jules I just tried desaturating the pink flower but it's just too big to keep it from being distracting so it has to go!

Forum Participant OvidiuCavasdan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great colors and BG, BF looks very good. Agree about the oof flower. I think that a few more oof flowers would have been interesting.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Ken,
    Well....I agree about the "other" flower........but Ovidiu has made an interesting comment above which should serve as some food for thought for all of us! More flowers!......very interesting idea and worth exploring. As presented.....vert crop.....a little cleanup and viola! .....another winner!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Kurywczak View Post
    ........but Ovidiu has made an interesting comment above which should serve as some food for thought for all of us! More flowers!......very interesting idea and worth exploring. !
    It's funny you guys should say that because that's what I was hoping to get when I saw this bfly in my Zinnia patch. I literally have a boatload of Zinnias but this bfly wasn't cooperating and didn't land where I wanted it to. If it had landed near near the bow I could have had a flowery multicolor BG but it chose to feed on the starboard flowers near the stern. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great colours and I find the sulphurs move fast. I actually don't mind the other flower because it seems to balance the image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely colours, soft light and bg Ken. I think your normal work flow of a portrait format would work best.:)