Thread: Performance Tuning Lightroom

Lance Warley

Default Performance Tuning Lightroom

I have a relatively new, but not brand new, workstation: 2gh processor, 2gb ram, XP 2.04. No dual processors and no physical way to increase ram.

It's my company's machine. When I run my company's business sw, along with CS3 and Lightroom, performance degrades. For example, psd saves for files with multiple layers can take over a minute.

I've increased the CS3 performance preference from 55 to 70%. Is there a way to do this in Lightroom? I don't see it.

Thanks.

Robert O'Toole

Hey Lance!
    Sounds like that save time is too long unless the file is over 1GB.
    File saves depend on a few things like size and available hard disk space. When I save a 1.5 GB file for a client it can take a minute or 2. When this slows down even more I know that a disk is getting full. The more available HDD space the better.
    LR will be slower than PS or ACR. As far as I know make sure you have the newest version first of all and make sure the previews are not set to render or they take a long time to process.

Robert

Lance Warley

Thanks, Robert!

I hope I see you soon :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lance:

Does performance slow down if you just use CS3? I have run CS3 on a machine with 2GB Ram and it worked fine-. LR seemed slow to me with 2GB.

Lance Warley

With CS3 by itself, performance is fine, Rocky.

When I have Lightroom open, that's when things start t slow. I've noticed that if I don't have any files open in Lightroom it helps. So as soon as I'm done in LR, I save the file and close it.

Thanks.