Thread: Iris detail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Iris detail

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not terribly comfortable in the macro world but here's one from yesterday of an iris in our backyard. I was experimenting with very shallow dof and selective focus. Thanks for looking and for any comments you can offer!

Canon 5dmk2, tripod mounted, Sigma 150

1/400, ISO200, f 2.8 Flash ettl-1 manual focus

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like how you have all the color in the bottom third of the image to give it some weight (yea, another thing from Mike Moats' book :) ) You have very sharp details on that petal edge, nice job on that! I also like the oof purple behind that edge to set it apart from the bg.

Do you have any more images of this iris? Any close-ups of the "beard" part?

Mike Moats

Hey Grace, very nice abstract feel, good point of focus and nice DOF. Good point by Cheryl about the visual weight.

Julie Kenward

Nice composition, Grace! I also like how the weight of the image is in the lower 1/3. Have you tried bringing up the whites of the iris petal and the BG just a bit more? You might try a screen layer and then reduce the opacity to see if that gives it a lighter, airier feel.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Macros take time to learn, but the learning is fun because of the beauty we discover as we look through the viewfinder. I would lighten the darker areas a bit using curves, and brighten it up as Jules suggested by duplicating the background layer and changing the blending mode to soft light, then lowering the opacity some. I would also crop some off the top and left side, but others seem to have other opinions of the crop.

Fabs Forns

I love the softness of this, Graze, very pretty. As for the comp, I am left wanting to see more of the purple lip, although I'm aware that moving the camera down would have upset the ROT composition.