Thread: GHO

Peter Coskun

Default GHO

Went out to photograph some great horned owls that recently took refuge in the desert behind my home. I didn't do much here, a slight crop, curves adjustment, and some sharpening. Let me know what you think!

Canon 7d
    Canon 400mm f/5.6L @f/5.6
    1/500th sec
    iso 800
    -1/3EV
    HH

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cute, love those big curious eyes. I might sharpen the area around the face a bit more and wish the bird was evenly lit.

Peter Coskun

Quote Originally Posted by Thanaboon Jearkjirm View Post
    Very cute, love those big curious eyes. I might sharpen the area around the face a bit more and wish the bird was evenly lit.
    For some reason it seemed sharper before I posted. Might have to go back and do a bit more sharpening. As for the light, unfortunately the bird was being partially blocked by branches and leaves.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Peter,

I always enjoy owl images and your is no exception. The eye contact with the owl staring straight down the barrow of the lens is captivating. I think the image looks a little flat.; especially the eyes. I also find the blue spots in the leaves to be mildly distracting.

If this were mine I would try the following adjustments. To demonstrate I have attached your image with these adjustments applied. I'll leave it up to all of you as whether it is an improvement or not.
    1) Perform some eye doctor per Arthur Morris Birds as Art II and Robert O'Toole's APTATS I.
    2) Selectively sharpen the owls head some of the feathers just below the head.
    3) I added 3 percentage points to the blacks and Neutrals in Selective colors just to owl to enhance the contrast a bit.
    4) Increased the contrast a small amount.
    5) Using a color layer paint over the blue spots to try and blend them into the background.
    6) To tone down the highlight on the birds head, I used a quick mask of other feathers and wrapped them into position.

Thanks for sharing.