Thread: Hummingbird ID?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hummingbird ID?

Attached Images Attached Images

I caught this fellow taking a bath on top of a fountain in a public plaza in Quito, Ecuador last week. I know there are over 100 hummer species in Ecuador, and I have no idea what this is. Looking at images obtained from a Google search, the closest seems to be the Sparkling Violetear, but if anyone knows their Ecuadorian hummers I would appreciate an ID so I can label the image. Thanks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not knowing some of the species is the price you pay for going to such a fabulous place Bill!

I'm sure someone can help out here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My guess is a male Green Violet-ear. I don't know if they are found in Equador though. A drinker! nice behavior shot!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is a Sparkling Violetear. They are quite common in Quito. The easy way to tell the difference is the throat - in Sparkling, the blue from the auricular comes up under the chin, and it doesn't in Green.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sloan View Post
    It is a Sparkling Violetear. They are quite common in Quito. The easy way to tell the difference is the throat - in Sparkling, the blue from the auricular comes up under the chin, and it doesn't in Green.
    Thank you Chris. I knew someone would have an answer. This fellow did seem quite at home among the fountains and flowers of Independence Plaza. Unfortunately in the limited time I was there I was unable to capture him on a flower. Appreciate the info.