Thread: Photos Not the Same in BB and CS3

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Photos Not the Same in BB and CS3

Is there a setting or preference or something that needs to be changed in one or the other of BB or CS3 so they use the same monitor calibration?
    I have a laptop and calibrate the monitor.
    I know that the colours are not the same between the two programs and I also suspect there may be contrast issues.
    The photos that I post look like the BB images and not as I finish them in CS3.

Tks, Dave

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What is "BB"? Not in acronym list here and new to me. BPN?
    My only thought is that be sure your posted image is sRGB color profile. If you are not sure what that is, there are threads here about it.
    Sorry, hopefully others here can help you more on this.
    Tom

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

BB = Breeze Browser (I believe)

Dave,
    This can get complex. I'm not sure of the capabilities of BB, but I assume it is color management aware. Another thing to check. Write out a jpeg image in sRGB format and display it in another image viewer, for example, if on windows, use the windows fax/image viewer. Do the colors look the same as in photoshop displaying the same sRGB image? If not then there may be several reasons, including what settings photoshop has (e.g. is proof colors turned on and what is proof colors set to?). It may be that there are more than one software packages running, like your calibration software and adobe gamma. So check for calibration programs that may fight each other. Please let us know what you try and if solved, what the problem was. If you can't find it, let us know what you've tried and we'll see if we can find other ideas to test.

Roger

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You must make sure the Color Profile is set the same in both programs. Check Preferences... under the Image display tab for Color Managment.

FYI- many of my converted to sRGB images for web appear slighly darker here than on another site?

Chas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
    What is "BB"? Not in acronym list here and new to me. BPN?
    My only thought is that be sure your posted image is sRGB color profile. If you are not sure what that is, there are threads here about it.
    Sorry, hopefully others here can help you more on this.
    Tom
    Breezebrowser- a Windows-only image browsing program

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oops, sorry about that. Yes Roger is right, BB is for Breeze Browser.

I will follow up on Chas's suggestion. I see a couple places in CS3 I can change a color setting and also in BB.

I will let you know what I have tried and how it worked out.

Dave

Lifetime Member Michael Gerald-Yamasaki's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dave,

Greetings. Welcome to the twisty world of color management. To get consistent results between applications two things must happen:

1. The image must tell the application through its metadata, what color profile was used to create the image. This is done by attaching the color profile (aka ICC profile) (usually sRGB is best for web display) when the jpeg is created (an option when creating jpeg).

2. The viewing or editing application (CS3 or BB, but also your browser etc.) must color manage your image (by displaying according to the color profile). CS3 certainly color manages. I don't know about BB. Only some browsers color manage (Safari, Firefox... Internet Explorer does not color manage).

Without both of these requirements being met (one for image, one for viewer), the colors will have some differences between apps. How much difference depends on the specific colors.

To your specific question: CS3 will color manage to the specified preference for Working RGB Color Space (See Edit->Color Settings) unless told to color manage to the embedded profile of the image. If there is no embedded profile, it will use the CS3 setting for working RGB color space.

To have a fighting chance of BB (web docs seem to indicate BB is color managed) & CS3 showing the same colors, attach color profiles to your images, and have CS3 use embedded profile for working color space (BB appears from documentation to show embedded profile by default).

Hope you're still with me. Good luck.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, I think I have it now.

I went back through settings for both programs and made sure both had A-RGB for colour space, as does my camera. They have it embedded now.

I had changed computers from a desk top to a laptop and may not have made the changes to Photoshop when I loaded the programs.

In the process yesterday I also upgraded BB, so not sure if that was part of the issue or not. Before I was using Windows XP and now have Win 7.

It was a bit of trial and error, and I relied on Digital Basics to sort through settings. An informative way to spend a rainy day. It gave me a chance to try out BB's converter as well as Canon's.

Thanks For the Help,

Dave

Lifetime Member Michael Gerald-Yamasaki's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dave,

Greetings. I'm glad this seems to be working for you now. Oh, one more thing...

If you are posting images, aRGB will work fine only for color managed browsers such as Safari or Firefox (if the image has the color profile attached). For non-color managed browsers such as Internet Explorer an aRGB image will look a little dull, slightly darker, slightly unsaturated. An sRGB image will look a little better (but not as good as when viewed in a color managed browser).

My sense of the happy medium is to post an image in sRGB with the color profile attached. That way those using a color managed browser will see the image as you see it. Those using non-color managed browsers will see a somewhat degraded version, but not as bad as with other color profiles.

And by all means, view images yourself with a color managed browser ;)

Cheers,

-Michael-

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Time to check out Firefox.:)

Dave

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks to everyone for the helpful info

Ray