Thread: Project

Mark Schmitt

Default Common Bird Project

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a little offering for the "common bird project". A rare species if there ever was one:D

This image is about the setting. I liked the curve of the perch and it's harmony with the other natural elements in the image. About the only thing I'd with for is that the HA was more towards camera.

Not much done in PP except to: crop, sat and sharp.

EXIF
    Canon 30D
    Canon EF 500 IS L
    Metering: pattern
    EXP: 1/800 @ f 5.6, -.33 exp comp, fill flash
    ISO: 500
    White bal:custom 5450K

Feel free;)
    Last edited by Mark Schmitt; 04-02-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: change title

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it. Typical pose of the doves

Don Anderson

Very nice image, You're right the background really is excellent with the dove.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Schmitt View Post
    Here is a little offering for the "common bird project". A rare species if there ever was one. This image is about the setting. I liked the curve of the perch and it's harmony with the other natural elements in the image. About the only thing I'd with for is that the HA was more towards camera. Not much done in PP except to: crop, sat and sharp. Feel free;)
    While MODOs are common they are not easy birds to photograph... I love the perch and am OK with the BKGR but it is a bit too busy for me. Take it from me, with this pose you have a close to perfect head angle. If the bird had it's head turned more towards you we would not be seeing enough of it. SH and EXP are right on.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Mark. I agree with Artie, for me the HA is perfect. I am intrigued by the lighting here- it almost looks studeo-like but is subtle enough to look natural. I love the layout of the image with the perch, subject, rocks and the two leaves almost perfectly placed. The only thing for me would be to see some more room at the top.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good pose, and lovely looking perch Mark. Good detail on the Dove too.

Mark Schmitt

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    While MODOs are common they are not easy birds to photograph... I love the perch and am OK with the BKGR but it is a bit too busy for me. Take it from me, with this pose you have a close to perfect head angle. If the bird had it's head turned more towards you we would not be seeing enough of it. SH and EXP are right on.
    Thanks Arti: I think I miss-stated myself about the HA. My intent was to say that I thought that the bird might present a little more eye contact. ;)

Mark Schmitt

Quote Originally Posted by John Chardine View Post
    Nice one Mark. I agree with Artie, for me the HA is perfect. I am intrigued by the lighting here- it almost looks studeo-like but is subtle enough to look natural. I love the layout of the image with the perch, subject, rocks and the two leaves almost perfectly placed. The only thing for me would be to see some more room at the top.
    Thanks, John. The lighting was slightly overcast (IMHO perfect for photography) which minimized shadows and contrashading. I did use a very light taste if fill flash. ;)