Thread: Any Updates RE: Joe Overstreet or Circle B Ranch?

Michael Pancier

Default Any Updates RE: Joe Overstreet or Circle B Ranch?

Just trying to decide whereabouts to check out this weekend as I'm out in search for birds in Central Florida.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was at Joe Overstreet for the first time this past Saturday. I saw a few bald eagles (including an immature one), osprey and a pileated woodpecker. I had better luck just after sunrise near the Lake Cypress Boat Ramp area where I saw more eagles, crested caracara and various hawks. It seemed the further I went south on 523 the less activity but it was late morning when I got to the southern stretch. I hope this helps.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Mike, my dad is telling it's very strange, there's hardly any birds over a Circle B, very bizarre! Like where did they go??
    Cheers:
    Don Jr.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My last trip to Circle B was about a month ago and the white pelican population had dramatically decreased. My understanding was that most of them migrate around May but I believe they left early because of the long cold snap killing their food supply.

Michael Pancier

I heard the cold weather really screwed things up at Circle B. Hence I'm debating whether to head out from Tampa to Gatorland or Joe Overstreet ...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I will be dropping my wife off at Gatorland (no jokes needed; I signed her up for Robert Amurosa's class) Saturday morning and likely heading to the Overstreet area from there before returning to Gatorland for some evening shots. I will be repeating the same pattern on Sunday while she is in class. Look for my grayish blue Odyssey van and say hi if in the area.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just a quick note. With so much rain all the pastures have standing water in them. That's where the birds are in central Florida. Scattered everywhere.
    Larry <><

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Larry, so are you saying that it's not worth making the trip?

Right now my plans include Joe Overstreet Sunday am and Gatorland in the evening.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not at all. I love the trip to Overstreet and the eagles will be there. I'm just saying that the birds you usually find in the wetlands are eating new stuff in the fields. Overstreet in the morning and then Gatorland would be a great trip. Wish I was going with you!!!!
    Larry <><