Thread: Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone

Attached Images Attached Images

Most photographers include the Lower Falls in their images from this location but I found the river and canyon itself offered many interesting comps..

Canon 10D, EF 70-200mmF2.8 @ 85mm, ISO 100, 1/100 @ F10

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Robert,
    You've got some very strong compositional elements coming together in this image,and the sharpness is outstanding. What I would point out is that the lone, tall tree on the left almost disappears 3/4 of the way up its trunk. As a result, it doesn't quite work as an anchor. Moving slightly to ensure that the entire tree remained visible would have strengthened this image immeasurably.
    Cheers,
    David

Robert Amoruso

Nice use of an s-curve here as a leading line to guide the viewer through the image which to me is your stronger compositional element in the image. Though I understand David's comment, I don't feel it is a negative.

Great detail and color. It really grabs your eye.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think it is a great composition, with the curve of the river leading your eye, and the tree framing the curve, defining it where the steam obscures it. I really like the high angle above the scene, gives a good sense of the scale of the place, and makes me really want to get back out there :)

Jason

Rich Ikerd

Gorgeous image Robert; the snow really helps highlight the wonderful color of the canyon. I have an image similar to this (without the snow unfortunately) and I agree that sometime simplicity in an image (e.g., leaving out the iconic part you might be tempted to include) can yield as equally impressive results.