Thread: Macro nude

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Macro nude

Attached Images Attached Images

The wind is blowing and it's cold (the Texas version of cold) here today so it's not a good day to shoot outdoor macro photos. I'm a little bit stubborn and I decided to go outside and give it a try anyway. In a bold move, I took off my glove and shot an image of my nude left index finger at 3X :p

EOS 1D MKIV manual
    MP-E65 at 3x with ring flash on manual and I believe 1/8th power. Both the camera and the finger were hand held :D

ISO 100
    1/100s@ f16

It was hard to tell what was sensor dust and what was dirt and particles imbedded into the skin.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I wonder why one side looks darker than the other given you used a ring flash :confused: I think it could use a bit more sharpening :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My guess would be that I was outside and the sun was coming in from the left :confused: but that's just a guess. I'm not sure sharpening more is possible (or desirable). Seems like it would be kind of like trying to sharpen a marble :)

Julie Kenward

Michael, I would never have guessed you had photographed your own finger...too funny! :D You seem to have more DOF on the left side but with that lens I think you did very well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Kenward View Post
    Michael, I would never have guessed you had photographed your own finger...too funny! :D You seem to have more DOF on the left side but with that lens I think you did very well.
    :D considering that both the camera and the subject were "hand held" and the MP is manual focus (you don't really focus... you move the camera or subject) I think it's a miracle that I got anything even remotely resembling in focus. I think the variation on DOF is a result of my finger being turned slightly. The MP doesn't forgive anything.

This just shows what boredom will cause a person to do :o)