Thread: Gadwall drake portrait

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gadwall drake portrait

Only a portrait shot can do full justice to the Gadwall drake. That pattern on its breast is so gorgeous. Was lucky to get close to this guy. I dont have the full duck in this frame...hence I cropped it this way. Does it work? one other option is to crop some more and make it square.

40D. 400f5.6 at f/8. iso 320. 1/800. late afternoon sulight. exp. comp. 0. easy subject to expose :-)

All C&C welcome.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Works well here...I like the sharpness, detail and watter..well done..

Gail Spitler

I agree with Paul, and this is a very sweet image. I do miss seeing those golden/orange primaries across the back, but that's only because I know they are there rather than anything wrong in the wonderful portrait pose.
    Cheers
    Gail

Geoff Malosh

Winderful detail. I like the composition too, but also agree that a square or a shortened vertical (short of the standard 3:2 aspect) can be very effective in a portrait like this. I find myself cropping like that quite often with my own images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great IQ here Kaustubh, and I like the detail and sharpness. Your comp works as is, but another option would be to crop away half of the RHS, and add the same amount on the LHS for him to swim/look into.