Thread: Another Spider

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Another Spider

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon EOS 40D, 100mm macro, ISO 640, 1/125, f/7.1 with external flash.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Nick, great detail on the spiders body. I wish there was a tad more DOF so the head was completely in focus as well. Also as I was looking at the image something made me feel uncomfortable. I tried flipping it vertically and the feeling went away. I'm not a roller coaster, dare devil kind of guy. Maybe it was the hanging upside down feeling and the dark BG above the light BG. I rotated the image, what do you think? By the way, great use of flash and a fabulous capture.

Julie Kenward

Nick, I have to agree with Richard on this one. The upside down part really threw me at first and I always prefer the dark end of an image to be at the bottom for "weight" reasons. Excellent details - the neon of the insect locked in the web is very cool. Nice composition and just the right amount of room around the edges.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent detail and nice use of the flash, Nick. At first I was a bit confused about the angle you got in this spider, but I like how it shows the threads of silk running from the abdomen to the already partly wrapped prey.

Mike Moats

Hey Nick very cool capture and have to also agree on Richards repost. Great details on the underside.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks gang, the position never really bothered me until you guys mentioned it, and I think I agree. Have not shot many spiders so I really have no reference. He was just hanging there outside my garage and I held the camera up and shot this. Thanks for the thoughts and input.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nick, nice capture of the action and I agree with what's been said. I always love behavioral shots of wildlife.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A great catch for both you and the spider. I think Richard is right in flipping the image. I know it is difficult to find the right angle for maximum dof with shots like these.:)