Thread: Cockatiels (Nymphicus hollandicus)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cockatiels (Nymphicus hollandicus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Cockatiels (Nymphicus hollandicus) Barkly Homestead NT
    Canon EOS 40D Lens 100-400mm L IS USM at 400mm ISO 400 F7.1 1/1600sec available light 17 August 2009
    This pair of Cockateils landed before my hide at some surface water at Barkly Homestead NT Australia. The female is on the left and male on right. Growing up at Coonamble NSW I knew them as Quarrions so for me at least Cockatiels seems not to gel with me and so each time I encounter these magnificent birds Quarrion is my first thought. For those of you used to seeing them in cages and often in a vast range of colours here they are in the wild and for me I like the wild type best. They are a spectacle to see in flight as well particularly so as a group of a dozen or so birds.Cockatiels occur throughout the Australian inland but are absent from south-west Western Australia, the Nullabor Plain, coastal Victoria and coastal New South Wales and much of Cape York.
    Last edited by Rod Warnock; 03-02-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Fabs Forns

How lucky to see them in the wild. They are certainly good looking birds!
    Not bad DOF for f/7.1, main focus on the male, maybe a little more selective sharpening on the female wouldn't hurt. Love to have him drinking. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Great to see these in the wild and nice poses from both birds, Rod. I agree, the natural colour pattern is my favorite too.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Fabs ! Posted incorrect version now replaced. Have a series on this pair wil post a drinking version later.
    Best regards
    Rod Warnock