Thread: Southern Carmine Bee-eater

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Southern Carmine Bee-eater

I have just returned from Botswana, where I put my 1D Mark IV through its paces.

Taken at Savute Marsh in Chobe National Park.

1D mark IV
    70-200 @ 98mm
    1/3200 @ F5.6
    ISO 320
    EV +2/3

cynthia walpole

I love the detail in the breast and being able to see the subtle difference in the red and orange colors of the feathers. Too bad the the near wing was not well lighted. You might think of cropping a bit on the left to bring the subject even closer to the viewer.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marco peschiera View Post
    Sorry to ask but how you may shot a bee eater at 100mm ??
    Did you feed them ?
    No worries, Marco.

The Carmines at on the Savute Marsh follow moving objects as they flush out the insects in the summer grasses. It is not uncommon to have 15 birds flying around your vehicle.

If you stop, they disappear, if you drive to slow, they will not follow.

This shot was taken from a moving vehicle, probably between 5-10 kph.

I first saw this last year when planning my trip here http://lillieleigh.smugmug.com/Trave...598_AMhEb-A-LB

I also tried being out of the car and having it driven towards me, though the birds were too shy.

Floris van Breugel

Just wonderful! I love the bit of background context you were able to include as a result of the relatively wide angle.

Ken Watkins

Russell,

I tried this last year, but largely failed insufficient shutter speed. I was going to ask whether you took it from a moving vehicle, as it is bizarre how they stop as soon as you do, we had them flying through the cruiser.

Now I have my MkIV I'll have to try again.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken,

I can't believe they came inside your vehicle! Where did that happen?

For Alwyn and I, it was a game of hit and miss. I was lucky as a couple of times these guys hovered for 3-5 seconds right next to me.

I found sittting in the front seat gave me the most stable position in the vehicle, as the roof cover was less of an issue. I was basically sitting where the handbrake is, in order to get the minimum focusing distance.

For a number of my best shots, driving slightly faster seemed to work, as the birds were keeping up level with the vehicle, rather than swooping past.

We spent a good couple of hours with these guys, taking it in turns to drive up and down the middle of the marsh.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for sharing the situation. Incredible one, it is for sure. These birds are spectacular. it must have been quite an experience. I liked the 100mm angle of view a lot. You can do some sharpening on the bird I think.