Thread: The Young & Restless

Bill McCrystyn

Default The Young & Restless

Attached Images Attached Images

Nikon D300 200-400VR 1.7TC ISO800 1/800 f/6.7 CW EV -0.67 HH

This guy came off a perch as I tracked waiting for him to clear the BG trees and brush. He was starting to fill the frame as he turned so I started shooting. I liked the pin tails up in this frame giving it a 3D look and pop.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill,
    The image is a bit soft. Sorry to say that, I have the same lens as well. When pairing with 1.7, images were soft. It is still ok with 1.4, but getting it sharp is not easy. Have you tried sharpening it just a bit more?

Alfred Forns

Hi Bill

Like how you got the bird at the right moment before he got to you and its giving you a good look !!! Would lighten head area a bit and give it a local sharpening pass, will come out just fine. This converter/lens combination can produce razor sharp images, the only drawback is slower auto focus speed. Excellent capture !!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree the bird looks soft, and some noise is apparent on near wing and tail. Lots of post-processing artefacts are visible (right edge of frame, above the head, near the tail), be careful with those final touches! Good timing as the eagle has not yet passed you at time of image taken, and you got a great view of the far wing-top.

Judy Lynn Malloch

The softness has been mentioned but wonderful timing and I really like the flight pose you captured in this image with the turned up feathers. Really gives the feeling of motion. Thanks for sharing.

Bill McCrystyn

Thanks you guys. I'll recheck my artifacts Daniel, thanks. The problem here with the over all softness Troy was he was coming fast and 1/800 HH at 1020mm just doesn't get it. The catch light in the eye was blured half way across the eyeball. Admittely, not one of my best shots but I liked the image enough to keep it . I'll work on it some more. :o
    Last edited by Bill McCrystyn; 02-27-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Bill McCrystyn

Default Critique Based Rework

Thanks Al and Daniel for your help on this difficult to salvage image.

Alfred Forns

Does look better Bill !!! ... btw you did well locking in on the bird with the bg !!!

Bill McCrystyn

I locked up on him against heavy brush and held on. I thought he would never get in the clear and then he hit the sky and there went my S/S down the toilet. Now and then Arties' right about setting manual. :D

Bill McCrystyn

Default Final Rework

I think this is as good as it will get.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill the post processing looks much better now with no PP artefacts visible without really looking hard. Good cleanup!