Thread: "The Roost"

Thomas Finnie

Default "The Roost"

The White Ibis are silhouetted against the setting sun as they circle above the trees preparing to land and roost for the night. Some Great White Egrets and Ibis arrived earlier already perched in the trees.

SW Louisiana - Nikon D300, f/2.8 / 70mm

Last edited by Axel Hildebrandt; 02-25-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

I like this Thomas. Nice layers and colours. Fortunate that most of the flying birds are in the band of clear sky below the clouds. I like the hint of water reflecting through the trees in the lower part of the image.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the concept of this image, and the late evening mood it conveys. I would have raised the ISO to give you faster SS to better freeze the motion in the wings (I normally don't mind motion blur in wings, but for this image I find it would have been ideal completely frozen). I would also clone out the white dots across the water at right (lights from houses/streets lamps?).

P.S. Signature across the image is rather distracting;)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Thomas, Like the concept just wish the image had a bit more light also would crop a some off the bottom to about the water.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

NoahGaines

I really really like the mood, and movement. I like the wing blur. I would crop from the bottom up to the black nad. IMO, the reflection in the water is distraction to the main focus and can go. I also would get rid of the white lights on the right.

Thomas Finnie

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Whitehead View Post
    I like this Thomas. Nice layers and colours. Fortunate that most of the flying birds are in the band of clear sky below the clouds. I like the hint of water reflecting through the trees in the lower part of the image.
    Hi Tony,

The image was not as good as being there but it was the next best thing and it is nice to be able to share.

Thanks for your kind remarks, :)
    Tom

Thomas Finnie

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    I like the concept of this image, and the late evening mood it conveys. I would have raised the ISO to give you faster SS to better freeze the motion in the wings (I normally don't mind motion blur in wings, but for this image I find it would have been ideal completely frozen). I would also clone out the white dots across the water at right (lights from houses/streets lamps?).

P.S. Signature across the image is rather distracting;)
    Hi Daniel,

I happened upon this scene returning home from a shoot and in my haste to get the image forgot to adjust the ISO. :)

Thanks for the tip about the three white dots and for your kind comments, :)
    Tom

Thomas Finnie

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lacy View Post
    Hi Thomas, Like the concept just wish the image had a bit more light also would crop a some off the bottom to about the water.
    Hi Don,

I'll crop some from the bottom of the image and see how it looks.

Thanks for your suggestions, :)
    Tom

Thomas Finnie

Quote Originally Posted by NoahGaines View Post
    I really really like the mood, and movement. I like the wing blur. I would crop from the bottom up to the black nad. IMO, the reflection in the water is distraction to the main focus and can go. I also would get rid of the white lights on the right.
    Hi Noah,

Thanks for your kind remarks and suggestions.

It is nice to pass an image by some fine photographers on this board as yourself to see what suggestions are made.

Thanks, :)
    Tom