Thread: Snowbird

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snowbird

It's a horrible day here in PA, overnight snow, sleet and freezing rain to come. I created a few images this morning using 3 heavily damped flashes. This Dark-eyed Junco is one of the results. I'm currently playing with Photokit sharpeners in CS3, what do you think?

Nikon D3 200-400+TC14e SB-800 and 2 SB-600 slaves all set at -2,0 1/160s @ f6.3

Last edited by Arthur Morris; 02-22-2008 at 06:02 PM. Reason: took a few shots...

Gary Dumer

Nice image Dale, I think it would Look good in Portrait as well!
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 02-22-2008 at 06:02 PM. Reason: shot

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose and the composition and background.

Looks like a bit too much sharpening for my taste. A bit of a halo and the detail in the gray
    feathers looks exaggerated to the point of not looking natural. Also, could be my monoior
    but the gray looks a bit lighter than what I'm used to seeing for this species, maybe too much flash ?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great BG and composition.....If you don`t mind about croping I think that 1:1 crop would be fine too.
    Good job!
    P.S. it looks little oversharpened on my monitor too(but just little)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice COMP and lovely tone to the BKGR, but definitely oversharpened perch and face and some funky stuff in the BKGR.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

How about this version without any sharpening at all. Thought I'd try the portrait while I was at it.

Last edited by Arthur Morris; 02-22-2008 at 09:40 PM.

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the repost better and might remove one of the catchlights.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the repost because it doesn't look overly sharpened, but I like the original crop better. Photokit Sharpener is a great tool. I usually select the bird and copy it to its own layer. I then sharpen using Smart Sharpen and/or Photokit Sharpener. I like the sharpening brush in Photokit Sharpener. If birds look too sharp in the Photokit layer you can decrease the opacity of the layer.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with Doug on the sharpening and the crop. And as for reducing the opacity of a sharpened layer, you can do the same in Photoshop. Lastly, there is something funky just above the last spire of the perch on our left.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Lastly, there is something funky just above the last spire of the perch on our left.
    Looks like cloning inadvertantly copied a bit of the perch to me.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    . Lastly, there is something funky just above the last spire of the perch on our left.

later and love, artie
    OH! I see what your saying now, I cloned out a bit of the log to the left of the bird. My cloning skills leave a lot to be desired I'm afraid, as well as my sharpening and .... and ....

Thanks for the comments folks, I appreciate it immensely.

George DeCamp

Love the comp and the bird...yep, the sharpening needs some work and you would move this up a couple notches!