Thread: Spliced

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Spliced

Attached Images Attached Images

Grey Pelican - Pelecanus philippensis.

This pelican was swimming peacefully. Suddenly it picked this up, threw it in the air and spliced it up with its beak. It happened within two seconds.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, EF 2xII, ISO 100, 1/320, full frame image.

Look forward to your comments and critiques.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I liked the action here . The water droplets add so much to the image . Brightness cn be increased a bit.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it very much - good timing. I might be tempted to place the bird slightly higher in the frame and although I like the texture conveyed in the plumage I would check to see if a little more sharpening would improve - perhaps it would not,I am just curious.:)

Axel Hildebrandt

Interesting action captured. You can easily go to ISO 400 without introducing much noise. As is, I would sharpen the bird more and wish the angle were lower.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice behaviour, and well timed on your part. Exposure looks great. If it was possible, a lower angle would have been great. For me its the opposite from Jonathan as I'd prefer the bird lower in the frame :-)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Nice behaviour, and well timed on your part. Exposure looks great. If it was possible, a lower angle would have been great. For me its the opposite from Jonathan as I'd prefer the bird lower in the frame :-)
    My mistake I did mean lower not higher!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Vinay, Jonathan, Axel, Daniel,
    Thanks a lot for your comments. I had earlier tested the high ISOs and had decided to check the ISO 100. Lower angle is not possible in this place. There is a fence which stops us from going down. These pelicans are also very skittish. I had to hide behind the fence and a tree and stand at one place for 5 hours to watch them. The distance of the Pelican was 29.7 meters. Normally they are about 45-50 meters away. The action happened in a second. I hadn't see pelicans play like this.

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sabya, well timed to capture his playful behaviour. I like the overall detail, and would maybe lighten the image ever so slightly. Moving him down will work too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Sabyasachi,
    I love behavioral images! And this is always a fun behavior to photograph.
    As mentioned the image is interesting, well exposed and sharp on my monitor.

The sun looks a little high in the sky. IMO better light would put this over the top.

I don't mind the angle of capture. I do feel a small crop off the bottom would strengthen the composition.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stuart, James,
    Thanks for the comments. Early morning light would have been great. Unfortunately, this bird sanctuary opens only at 8 am in the morning. The timings are decided on the basis of normal tourists and not on the needs of the photographers. :(

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi