Thread: Northern Cardinal

Cecil Kirksey

Default Northern Cardinal

I shot this guy on a cloudy morning. Had to use ISO400 SS 1/320 20D and 400mm f/5.6 @ f/5.6. Processed via DPP. This is a full height vertcal crop. Interested in getting feedback on the following.
    1. Color of bird is not as bright red as some that have seen posted here and at other sites.
    2. Image resolution or detail. I have been trying to determine if my images with my camera and my technique are getting the maximum possible or do I still need improvement. I am very critical now. It there is any obvious blurring the image is deleted. But this shot has be baffled because I am not sure how sharp and how detailed it can be.
    Thanks for any feed back.
    Last edited by Axel Hildebrandt; 02-07-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the soft light, sharpness and BG look good, too. The perch hurts the image. You could try to put an attractive perch near the feeder. Maybe a bit more contrast? In the tutorial forum is a thread on 'reducation' that might interest you.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I too would prefer a natural perch, but I suppose this could make a nice product advertisement :-)

The thread Axel refers to is a good one worth the read. As for image quality, focus and sharpness look good but I suspect it's your resizing method that seems to lower the quality (notice the compression artefatcs, especially lower part of the BG) tehre is another thread in that tutorial forum that tlaks about resizing for web...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like maybe a juvenile, hence not as bright.