Thread: Sulphur Crested Cockatoo

Jim Dahl

Default Sulphur Crested Cockatoo

New member, first post.

Wild Sulphur Crested Cockatoo eating sunflower seed that I put out for them.

Axel Hildebrandt

Welcome to BPN, Jim! Very nice first post. I like the sharpness, eye contact, head angle and crest. The bird could go a bit bit lighter for my taste. I wish the eye were a bit lighter or had a catchlight. There is a slight sharpening halo around the beak, which you can avoid if you select within the borders of the bird before sharpening. Keep them coming!

Jim Dahl

Thanks for the comments Axel, much appreciated.

It's nice to be here, I've looked around at a lot of peoples photos and there is so much talent here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Jim. Sharp and a nice basic COMP. Looks a bit dark from here. Is that a seed in its bill?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Jim Dahl

Thanks Arthur, yes it's a seed husk in the birds beak.

Here is another shot with the bird looking straight at me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the confirmation. Best to try to make your images without the seed visible or to remove it in post-processing.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Hi Jim
    I like your image just the way it is presented especially if you want to portray feeding behavior. In that case then I don't see the seed being visible as an issue. On the contrary, I am surprised no one yet asked what camera and lens you used and at what settings. :)

Regarding the composition, I think cropping from the right and above to place the Cockatoo off center would strengthen it. The light was great for shooting a white bird. They're one of the coolest Aussie larrikins in bird world. :D

Welcome aboard.

Jim Dahl

Thanks Akos.

I used my 5DMKII with my 70-200mm f2.8 and a 1.4x TC.