Thread: Bat Falcon

Bryan Hix

Default Bat Falcon

Attached Images Attached Images

One of many photos I made of this unique raptor. Their claim to fame is that they hunt during dusk and attack bats from behind where the bats are not able to detect them. They also feed on small birds and insects. This falcon was with its mate and juvenile on a dead tree.

Canon 1D Mk3
    Canon 600mm w/ 1.4x TC
    ISO 250, 1/1250 @ f/7.1
    Gitzo tripod
    LR2, crop, sharpen, some curves adj.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Hi Bryan

Nice pose! If it were mine I'd be very tempted to tighten the comp a bit (see attached). Angle is a little steep, but I am sure that is the best angle you could get. You handled the light very well and there are lots of lovely feather details. At first glance the thumb reminded me of a dark Peregrine. :)

Thanks for sharing. :)
    Last edited by Ákos Lumnitzer; 01-28-2010 at 05:18 AM. Reason: spelling.... :)

Bryan Hix

Thanks Akos,
    I have the tendency to make things too tight, so I gave myself more room this time. :) Yes, these guys perch pretty high, so there isn't a lot of options for less of an angle. Thanks for the critique.

Axel Hildebrandt

Good head angle and hunting behavior. Where did you make this image? I might lighten the dark plumage and tone down the whites using curves.

Bryan Hix

Axel,
    I was in Gamboa, Panama. I looked at the white on the histogram and I don't see any overexposure?
    Last edited by Bryan Hix; 01-28-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Bryan Hix

Here is a re-work with suggestions: lightened darks, darkened lights, tighter crop. I am really trying to improve my photography and would appreciate some more input from others. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bryan Hix; 01-29-2010 at 11:07 AM.