Thread: Common Eider II

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Eider II

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken in Glucester MA last weekend. I had to work a bit in PS on this one since
    the water and dark part had lots of noise (underexposed). I brightened the eye a bit,
    in the field it is actually very difficult to see the eye on this duck. This pose allowed me to
    get the catch-light and some eye-contact.
    CC appreciated.

Nikon D80 300mm+TC14 f/9 1/3200 AP-1 2/3 ISO400

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like this is a nightmare exposure without some good flash. Really love the background and how it has an alternating flow to the waves.. Nice work in your post keeping this all together.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ilija, a species I havent seen before. You have done well on such a difficult subject, and you have brought out the eye very well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Ilija, The composition w/ the rock and water in the BG is very nice. I never saw one of these out of the water. I am still trying for a good shot of one in the water. The eye is hard to get visible and I think you did a good job getting it w/ a catchlight. Some of the darks are maybe too dark. I do love the pose and slight head tilt.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DustinFinn View Post
    Looks like this is a nightmare exposure without some good flash. Really love the background and how it has an alternating flow to the waves.. Nice work in your post keeping this all together.
    Thanks Dustin, yes that is the problem with this duck images I guess, if it is sunny you get difficult exp
    situation, if it is overcast you can't get the nice blue water. Thanks for your comment.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Bowie View Post
    Ilija, a species I havent seen before. You have done well on such a difficult subject, and you have brought out the eye very well.
    Thank you Stuart, appreciated very much. We have quite a number of very interesting duck species here along the coast in winter. The Eiders are very rarely out of the water, often far from the shore, that is probably why we don't see too many images of this species.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by denise ippolito View Post
    Ilija, The composition w/ the rock and water in the BG is very nice. I never saw one of these out of the water. I am still trying for a good shot of one in the water. The eye is hard to get visible and I think you did a good job getting it w/ a catchlight. Some of the darks are maybe too dark. I do love the pose and slight head tilt.
    Thanks Denise as always, I have few images with more detail in the blacks but with tons of noise too.
    I'll try to get something out of them.