Thread: Tufted Duck (female)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tufted Duck (female)

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS 7D, 4/500L + 1.4, tripod, Wimberley Head 2
    ISO 800, 1/320, f5.6

Yesterday I was out testing my new EOS 7D. Because I didn't find any Wild Boars as I was hoping, I drove to the Nyphenburger Park in Munich to photograph some ducks.
    The light was aweful but I hope the image still works. It was also a good test to see how the 7D works at ISO 800. Not a Nikon D3 of course, but I think it is better than my EOS 40D.
    The image was taken at 8fps as I was hoping to get one with an open eye. It attracts the attention of park visitors if you have a camera that sounds like a machine gun :)

This is a little less than a 6 MP crop from the original image. The cropping possibilities with the 7D are fantastic. With the 40D, this would only be about 3 MP.

Markus

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I like the image. Sorry about the missing boars :) There is tons of stuff to learn here. For the respost I selected the BKGR and ran Axel's CS-3 Noise Reduction plus my 1 pixel Gaussian blur. It looks 100 times better. Then, although the eye was open there were some feather's blocking part of it so i did some Eye Doctor work on it. Lastly painted a QM of the bird and applied a contrast mask and got rid of a few white specks on the plumage.

The main thing to learn is that noise can be easily controlled with a bit of study and effort....

Markus: thanks for your comments and ping-backs on the blog.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: Love the patterns in the water. I should have brightened and added a bit of SAT to the repost. BTW, everything that I did is covered in the recent revision of Digital Basics.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    ps: Love the patterns in the water. I should have brightened and added a bit of SAT to the repost. BTW, everything that I did is covered in the recent revision of Digital Basics.
    Thanks for the repost and the comments. I did learn a lot!!!
    Your repost looks a lot better than my original image.

Markus

Gal Shon

Arthur have sum it all with his repost.
    Repost looks very good.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Hi Markus

I am always baffled why when having a camera with a huge amount of megapixels people choose to crop excessively. I believe getting close and cropping as little as possible will enhance your image quality. I feel the original post shows the big crop by the amount of visible noise. Perhaps I am incorrect and will happily learn, as I am definitely not a tech head.

Regardless, it is a lovely, well-composed image and Artie has done a great job enhancing it. Well done Markus. :)

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the soft light, mood, angle, eye contact and water patterns. The noise reduction made it even better.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

@Akos: I agree with you about cropping. I try to avoid it when possible but getting closer was no option. there was very cold water between me and the duck :-)
    I normally don't crop below 5 MP. this one is about 6 MP.

Markus

Ákos Lumnitzer

Markus
    The way I understood is that the file is 6mp instead of 18mp? Are you saying it's 12mp since you cropped 6mp from 18mp?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ákos Lumnitzer View Post
    Markus
    The way I understood is that the file is 6mp instead of 18mp? Are you saying it's 12mp since you cropped 6mp from 18mp?
    The new file is 6MP.

Markus

Ákos Lumnitzer

That's way too big a crop from the original size hence why the lack of detail and evident noise, but it has to do if you cannot get closer. :(

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ákos Lumnitzer View Post
    That's way too big a crop from the original size hence why the lack of detail and evident noise, but it has to do if you cannot get closer. :(
    It looks pretty good to me. John Shaw once said something like this: "A sharp image from a 4 mp camera blows away 35mm film..."

I say this: digital is amazing. Pop Photo once ran a full page image of a backlit baby crane that was up-rezzed from a 1mb slide show file (because I had lost the RAW and the optimized TIFF...) And it looked just fine.