Thread: Franshoek Church

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Franshoek Church

Attached Images Attached Images

During my recent holiday in Cape Town, I singled out interesting buildings for the sole purpose of converting them to B&W. Hopefully with the last few Ive posted, I have now created the right tones, exposure and contrast. Franshoek is a small country town set in the mountains about 150kms from Cape Town.

Canon 20D
    24-105 @ 38mm
    1/2000
    F/8
    ISO 400

Exp Comp 0
    Hand Held

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stuart, I like how you handled this. In this case centering the image works for me. Nice exposure along with good detail. Just enough of a path to act as a leading line with dramatic clouds in the backround. Good choice for a B&W.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Stuart,
    I'm not usually a fan of centered comps but the symmetry in this case works. Nice choice fo rthe conversion also. I do feel you may want to re-visit this one in PP'ing....just to get more depth/detail in the door as it is such an important visual part of the scene.....you are leading us in....I feel we need a bit more depth there to keep us there! I feel most B&W could use a bit of dodging and burning to bring out as much tonal range as possible....those little tweaks will make this sing!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very dramatic B&W, as already noted the centering seems to work in this image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a stack for your feedback guys. I will look at your suggestions.

Connie Mier

This is nice Stuart, the building is eye capturing. I agree that it could use more "pop", especially working with the clouds a bit. Also, my eyes want a little counter clockwise rotation even though the steps are perfectly horizontal.