Thread: Scarlet Tanager

Brian Tang

Default Scarlet Tanager

Canon 40D 300mm with 2x f5.6 1/1000 ISO 320 -1/3 EV. Technically a bit unusual. Sunrise against trees in shadow.

Brian Tang
    Plainfield, Illinois
    www.hardrain1.com
    Last edited by Brian Tang; 01-16-2010 at 02:34 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Brian-

Though some may not (I'm guessing), I like this effect. I would probably crop a little differently, add to bottom, take a little off the top, and a bunch off the left. Also might clone out the spider web (?) behing the bird's head close to the perch. Very interesting image, my friend, looking forward to others thoughts.

Ed

Fabs Forns

Very dramatic presentation, interesting composition that breaks a couple of rules, but after looking at it for a while, I think I'd leave it as is. I may desaturate the reds a bit to let the detail in the plumage show better.

Judy Lynn Malloch

I was writing my comments at the same time as Fab and they did not go through. I am not always a fan of black BG's but this one is very striking and I also like the crop that you chose. As Fab mentioned it does not follow all the rules but it is refreshing to see something a little different. I like this a lot. Great lighting and detail on the bird as well as wonderful eye contact. Beautiful !!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very dramatic image. I would like to see more room on the bottom, less on the left, and more on the right. well done
    Ted

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it a lot as well. I might decrease brightness on the branch to even further emphasize the subject.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian, I find the composition and presentation to be pleasing. The bird emerging out of the darkness is quite sticking in my opinion. I agree with the suggestion of desaturating the reds and toning down the perch a bit. Nicely done and thanks for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Aside from during migration, this isn't a typical perch for this species.

I like the iris detail, the catchlight and the sharpness.

Brian Tang

Thanks for all the comments. Interesting to read the crop suggestions since this is something I struggled with. It is such a high contrast shot that I was seeing the perch as part of the subject, even though it is not the most interesting of sticks. So I gave it some room. Maybe I will re-work this one with a crop for the bird only. And tone down the perch. And yes, the red is a bit overpowering...not used to having to remove color from a wildlife photo, but early morning light on a tanager is an exception I guess.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a very lovely image !! Love the drama here . Desaturating the reds would get some more details , though.