Thread: The Rights of Spring

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Rights of Spring

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was taken at Lion Country Safari last year, prior to the fencing of the Lion roaming area. I scanned it from the original slide and looked for a vision in the image. Being new (one week) to scanning slides, I am still in the early phase of the big learning curve. But it has been fun revisiting a very few of the 150,000 +/- slides I have accumulated over the years. Hopefully some future scans will be better. But thought you might enjoy this one. I hope to work it further as time goes on, as while I like this, it doesn't quite match the vision I have for it. Maybe they will be back at some future date.

Didn't think this would fit the Oriental theme of the week, but just for fun.

Image modification included; PS CS4, Poster Edge, Cutout, B&W, Rough Pastel.

Enjoy!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very powerful Mark! Nice work. I hope that you will share your discoveries in slide scanning with us. I am about to start the same adventure!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Very nice B&W look Mark. I might tone down a few of the bright areas and maybe open up the right eye a bit. Love the open mouth!:)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Dan & Denise for viewing and comments. Appreciate it.

Dan, I have a lot to learn on the scanning, as the manual for my CoolScan 5000 isn't really about all the features and effects. Guess it will be another seat of the pants adventure. I'm going through that with Lightroom and PS now, as they are all new to me. I guess the best to offer you Dan is let me know if you have questions. If I been there and done that before you I would be more than happy to share my experiences. Both good and BAD! I'm sure I will be looking at both in the next few months. Doing this to get my website together as my best work is on slides, since my digital camera is also new experience!

I did find a inexpensive program (VueScan ~ $49 +/-) to use, as I was having problems with my set up earlier this week. The Geek that did the service found it and put it on. It's kind of like the basic PhotoElements to PS. Not all the bells and whistles, but gets the job done quickly. I use both now that I have the system running. But often go to VueScan for simplicity.

As for the image, I got very lucky with the timing. But after all that is what makes our action pics work.

Thanks again. Not sure if I have another oriental image here. But maybe by the end of the day I will find one.

Julie Kenward

Mark, nice use of the poster effect here. I like that you went with it in b&w as well. I would also like to see a few more details but not too many - I like the chunky poster look this has to it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mark, this works well in b&w. I like the poster look and love the open mouth:)
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tips for scanning 35mm slides? - BFN - General Photography Discussions - Dated 12/30/09

Dan (and others of interest) I found this post today. As it is new, it has to grow, but it might be a good source of info for all who share our plight of going from film to digital, in this new world of photography. I would prefer that it be in the EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES section, which is less frequented with new topics, so it would be easier to find as time goes on. Maybe our friend Denise could so suggest to the powers that be. This is afterall a vital element for those of us who will be making that change and there are many who may have tread before us that can offer help and guidance.... Just a thought Denise. If you are so inclined ... ??? :confused: ;) If so, a big THANK YOU in advance! :D

I also found the following site that appears to offer some good info. I have not totally explored it yet, but gave it cursor overview only. FWIW.

http://desktoppub.about.com/od/scann...t_Scanning.htm

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Julie and Cheryl for viewing and comments. Appreciate it.

As this is the start of my scanning learning curve cycle, I appreciate the comments. Hopefully the future scans will provide improved images. This image had some faults, that is one of reasons I went with the poster effect. Given the original and the scan quality I think it turned out acceptable with maybe some additional minor tweaking as noted.

It's been fun and frustrating going from film to digital with a totally new learning curve of a new DSLR, computer, LR, PS, Scanning, etc. Any one of which would boggle my mind on a normal day! But life isn't life without adventure afterall... :eek: ;) :D