Thread: Bullfinch in the woodland

Tom Walters

Default Bullfinch in the woodland

Ok well this is my first image post so hopefully it will go ok.

Canon 30d, 400mm 5.6, f/5.6, 1/200sec, ISO400, -0.3step, hide, beanbag.

It was a fairly dark area and it was tough to keep at a useable shutter speed. I like the overall image but have never been happy with the right hand side. The braches there seem to distract attention. Its been cropped a little from the left.

Any comments or suggestions gladly received. Thanks for taking a look.

Tom.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Tom! welcome here...
    I like this image. nice balance, exposure and colours. Also never seen this species before. There are lots of ways to get rid of the branches (cropping, cloning, etc) but IMO they act as a nice anchor on the RHS. Many will differ here, but they don't take my attention away from the bird in this particular shot.

I might lift the levels a notch and sharpen the head and eye just a tad more.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Tom Walters

Hi Morkel, thanks for the welcome and the input :)

They are great birds, one of my favourites in fact. I havent seen them much in the past but since moving house they now visit my garden every few days. I agree lifting the levels would be a good idea. Interesting to hear your thoughts on the right-hand side. And the image looks softer on the web compared to the original but it does look like it could do with a sharpen on here.

Thanks, Tom.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose, and interesting curved perch. The leaves at bottom right do not bother me, its the ones at upper right that should go IMO. Easy patch/clone job...or, if the image quality can withstand it you could crop top and right (just enough to rid those upper leaves and keep the same aspect ratio). The highlight near the back should be blended in, as well as the one touch the tail tip.

P.S. Welcome to the Avian forum!! Hope to see more from you...:)

Tom Walters

Yes I could remove those, ill give it a go. Didnt notice those highlight areas, so thanks for that pointer too :)

Thanks for the welcome too! :D